The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Here is the other question on tail color.
Thanks for the answers on the meaning of the term "pinch tail". Does anyone have any input on the other question? I've relisted it below. Thanks.

The tails on some of my nearly started pullets have three to four rows of feathers towards the end of their tail that progressively have more black in them. That is to say the last feathers are all black with the beatle green tint. Then the next row in are mostly black with a little mahogany around the ends. The third row has a little more mahogany around the end, and the forth row only has a small amount of black and are mostly mahogany. On the other hand, some of my hens have one or two rows of black/greenish tail feathers and the remaining feathers on their tail are all mahogany.
Which of these two occurances are more desirable?

Since I don't know what age a "nearly started pullet" is I don't know how old these birds are. As a general rule the more black the better but if they are still in their juvenile plumage, as I suspect they may be, they can change a lot with their final molt.

You should not worry about the black in the wings and tail until the Red is at least six to seven months of age. Many have the same early jitters is this a rooster or a pullet? Who cares. You got to let them get to the age of crowing and getting red in the comb near egg laying be for you worry about color. Also, for rookies I would not even worry about color for the first two years. Learn how to pick type. If you have the New York Reds, Don Nelson or Mohawk line the color will stay stable for three to four years. Then you will have enough knowledge by then to figure out what the color should be but then what and how do you mate such birds with color faults.

I can tell you I breed and raised my Mohawk bantams for twenty years and never worried about color. I kept the color of all the large fowl as I shrunk them down. Today I looked at a half New York Reds pullet and a half Mohawk pullet and she is dark as she can be. What is her wing color look like I dont know her type is fantastic with a level back I will not worry about that til next year.

In regards to the Mohawk chicks from Colorado they look very nice, brick shaped and you should have some nice birds. I talked to a fellow who is from Illinois on the phone last night and he has about twenty extra Mohawk chicks left over. If you live in this region and want some good breeders he will have some in the next thirty to sixty days. He has Greg birds and he got 47 chicks out of two two year old hens mated to his male that was in the Poultry Press this past issue.

I went fishing today as my Valium did not come in by UPS truck from the Canadian Pharmacy. Must of got lost in the mail.

Had a good day fishing and caught some nice fish but better yet I got a tour for this Octo and Nov fishing. Cost Free. But it was priceless to have a mentor show you how it should be done and where to go.

See by helping you guys the gods in heaven pay me back in other ways. Hope the little Brownie truck shows up. Diapers will be in tomorrow. Steve I was at Winn Dixie and saw the Pettest apron it had Alabama Roll Tide on it. I still need a apron some day. Well got to go and feed and water Mr. Silkie and talk to my ducks. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Bob, NYREDS

I have been breeding with nothing but type in mind. Color has not been part of the equation at all.
However my current batch of 18-23 week old birds have almost black beaks, are deeper red, have more color on their legs and have better color as a group than their predecessors.
Here is a question, is this because the typer birds have the best genes and these genes also tie back to the old time color?
Or is it just dumb luck?

Ron

Bob, NYREDS

I have been breeding with nothing but type in mind. Color has not been part of the equation at all.
However my current batch of 18-23 week old birds have almost black beaks, are deeper red, have more color on their legs and have better color as a group than their predecessors.
Here is a question, is this because the typer birds have the best genes and these genes also tie back to the old time color?
Or is it just dumb luck?
Ron

I have the same with my last hatches. The beaks are black, they are very dark red and more color on their legs. I was wondering the same thing...

Sad day in southeast Arkansas. A dog broke into Jimmy's coop and killed his Rhode Island Red flock from Ron Foggelly. His father is getting rid of the dog and has promised to replace the flock, no matter the cost. So if anyone has any quality stock available please PM me. Prefer closer to our area. Jimmy was heart broken.

Dang sorry to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been happening a lot lately. Mine are not laying yet and I don't think Ron has chicks left but you can contact him about eggs.
Sad day in southeast Arkansas. A dog broke into Jimmy's coop and killed his Rhode Island Red flock from Ron Foggelly. His father is getting rid of the dog and has promised to replace the flock, no matter the cost. So if anyone has any quality stock available please PM me. Prefer closer to our area. Jimmy was heart broken.

Jimmy started with Ron's eggs in March. Lots of wasted time. Will try to keep an eye out at the fall shows for him. May just have to give him some of our bantams to raise until we can find him some.

So sorry to hear of the loss.
hit.gif
I hope he can find new birds. I wish I lived closer but live in Florida. Mine aren't laying yet either. I don't know how old his birds were but starting over with eggs is a long haul. After mine have started laying for awhile I am going to hatch a batch. I have rather new girls and very anxious to see the chicks from the new girls and my gorgeous guy. Good luck...
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom