The highest value treats?

My chickens love cereal (rice crispies and cheerios) aswell as any fruit or vegetables.
I think the favorite treats are either strawberries or watermelon. We have a new raised veggie garden and the chickens discovered the broccoli and corn plants. The leaves on the broccoli plant were eaten up and the corn that wasn't ready to be harvested yet!:barnie

My chickens love cereal (rice crispies and cheerios) aswell as any fruit or vegetables.
I think the favorite treats are either strawberries or watermelon. We have a new raised veggie garden and the chickens discovered the broccoli and corn plants. The leaves on the broccoli plant were eaten up and the corn that wasn't ready to be harvested yet!:barnie
I don't think that sugar (rice crispier and cereal) are good for chickens. I would suggest that as a very occasional treat. Sorry about your broccoli and corn!

Mine love whole grain bread, the kind with grain you can see in it. Tomatoes and mice they eat them whole, turkey carcasses after they've been picked clean by us, the chickens pick them the rest of the way clean. They love corn on the cob and I pick it shuck it, they pick it clean. Grapes they go nuts over. They chase down and eat almost any type of insect too. Cooked eggs are devoured quickly. And sweet clover picked fresh is always fed in season.

Mealworms, scrambled/cooked eggs, any left over cooked or especially raw vegetable cuttings (the ones that are safe for chickens to eat), any poultry or fish that still has bones. All other meats go to the dogs.
I forgot about corn. Goodness, there are too many good treats out there, i can't remember them all!
Corn is mostly empty carbohydrates and sugars, as are many fruits like watermelon. But I like to treat them every now and then, I buy the cheap ears of corn from the market (4-5 for a $) peel off the husk and silk and hang the cob from the roof of their pen like a pinata.

I like the idea of putting a whole pumpkin out for them so they have to peck their way through to get the treat inside. That might even keep them occupied for more than ten minutes LOL!​

Last edited:
My five Barred Rocks love zucchini, broccoli, kale, wild bird seed and BOSS. Oddly enough they didn't care for mealworms; although I got them at a grocery store, so who knows how long they had been sitting there. I gave up giving them to the girls, since they seemed old and the girls didn't like them anyway. Never think of getting live when I'm at a place that might have them (donno, does TSC carry live mealworms?).

I give mine boiled eggs a couple times a month. Selling the excess eggs isn't an option since all the neighbors have chickens themselves, so why not give it back to them? Especially the smaller chicks go crazy over it! Got bored of peeling the shell off each one, so I poach a handful at a time.
The treat the grown ups like the most is meat, followed by freshly picked blueberries.

My five Barred Rocks love zucchini, broccoli, kale, wild bird seed and BOSS. Oddly enough they didn't care for mealworms; although I got them at a grocery store, so who knows how long they had been sitting there. I gave up giving them to the girls, since they seemed old and the girls didn't like them anyway. Never think of getting live when I'm at a place that might have them (donno, does TSC carry live mealworms?).
I have never heard of a chicken that turns away meal worms! And yes TSC and Southern States both carry meal worms

Back
Top Bottom