The hits keep coming

katefollot

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
It started with two of our ducks disappearing, my fault, they weren't put away at night that one time. Then one was taken out of the 7ft kennel at night. Keep in mind this is all within 20 feet of our house (although at night) with our LGD right there.

So then they were secured in an 7ft tall kennel during the day and then are put up at night in the renovated shed. The most vulnerable part of that shed is the 1" gaps between the roof and the sides of the shed. Snively little ******* manages to get into the pen at dusk and disappears one of my australorp pullets. Next night I go to put them up earlier, think they're all there, then the next morning 3 are missing. I do some modification to the pen and make sure to get out there extra early last night, everyone is accounted for and put to bed. This morning, my favorite naked neck pullet that I just put outside 3 days ago is gone and a board that my dad was supposed to secure (but didn't), fell on top of two of my pullets, killing my one flawless svarthona and injuring one of my naked necks.

I have another shed that I have been trying for weeks to get people together to move (has to be turned upright first) and I'm looking for a dog that would enjoy hanging out in the paddock near the poultry, but this is exhausting.

It's my fault for not securing them completely and I know that, I was not expecting a full frontal assault, however I still don't understand how chickens disappear with only a 1" max gap for predators to get through. I would suspect a weasel, but there is no blood, no feathers, and these chickens were at least a couple pounds, they can't just compress themselves into nothing.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? good solutions for sealing off between metal roof sheeting and walls? Any quick predator proof enclosure ideas? I should have spent the time putting together predator proof enclosures beforehand, I just never foresaw it being such an issue, especially with our LGD. 20/20 hindsight as they say.

It could be a snake they don't tear feathers off just bite await for them to die and swallow whole I bet that 1" gap is where it is getting in and I bet it won't stop coming back until their all gone because why not easy meal right? Anyway I'd block the gap and later in the future invest in a new coop.

My guess is that something is pushing its way in somehow, you just don't know it. Don't just look for holes. Look for places that boards or panels might be pushed on to create openings large enough for something to get in. Could whatever it is be bowing that sheeting up and squirming in the gap? How secure is the door? Can the bottom be pushed in or out?

I'll go and take another look, unless the culprit is sliding the door shut on their way out it's not the door as it does have a door block to ensure it can't be swung outward while closed. We just redid the floor so it's not that, just checked again and a small section of the roof can be pushed up maybe an additional inch, I just would have expected to find feathers or blood or something, snake could make sense though. Must be quite the feat to compress their body enough to be able to squeeze through the gap after eating a meal.

As a side note, I have the injured naked neck inside with me hanging out in a bucket at the moment, but she desperately wants to be able to see me as she falls asleep and keeps resting her beak on the edge of the bucket as her eyes fall shut and her head slides down out of sight lol

Back
Top Bottom