The Honey Factory

Live bees - snow melt above the cluster
DSCN1033.JPG

I am trying to decide if I want to order 2 packages of bees for the 2 hives that left/died out or just get 1 package/nuc like I did last year. I am pretty sure that I have to do a MUCH better job in regards to mites and small hive beetles. I think those are what weakened my hives so much. I also need to find another mentor that lives closer that can come help me with both of those issues.

I am trying to decide if I want to order 2 packages of bees for the 2 hives that left/died out or just get 1 package/nuc like I did last year. I am pretty sure that I have to do a MUCH better job in regards to mites and small hive beetles. I think those are what weakened my hives so much. I also need to find another mentor that lives closer that can come help me with both of those issues.
You might try 1 package and use the other as a bait hive . Might catch some free bees . I did .

Is all of your beeswax in your dead hives ruined? If you can still use some of your built up comb, 2 packages would be the way to go. If you have to discard all of your ruined comb frames I'd go with a nuc to give them a good head start.

Back
Top Bottom