The Honey Factory

So thinking on changing my design on swarm traps to 5 frame nucs . The 5 frame traps have extra space under the frames . The bees will build comb on the bottom of frames in time . This is a nuisance when you move them to a hive .
Something to consider when building nucs. I built nuc boxes in my pre grafting days and instead of making the inside depth 9 5/8" with a 3/8" frame rest I made them 10 5/8". That way you can make up nucs using frames with swarm cells without crushing them. I'm glad I did it and I still save a swarm cell sometimes. If they build some comb on the bottoms of the frames it's not much drone comb/brood, just slice it off with a hive tool if you swap frames. Unless you make separate bottom boards you can just add a shim.

Nice. I would like to open the mean hive and see if they are truly dead, but I hate to have to unwrap them. I have seen no sign of life for about a month.

The friendly bees, my Saskatraz, I saw new dead bees on top the snow yesterday. Just a few.

It amazes me how they can have bees dying off all winter and have enough to start again in the spring.

Last year my hives made it through the winter and then died in March. :th
If I have a hive make it through most of the winter, I start feeding in late February or early March. I had a hive that was doing great. The Nanking Cherries along the road were blooming. The county came through with their mosquito sprayer and the next day the whole hive was dead.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom