The Honey Factory

That's what my Buckfast bees were like. They didn't mind the mower but would sting me just because I walked past the hive.
Are you sure they were mean? Or did they simply have good taste?

1634950900203.gif

Are you sure they were mean? Or did they simply have good taste?

View attachment 2875307
They were definitely mean. Had a discussion with a guy that was trying to sell me Buckfast bees. It didn't take long before he admitted how they were. He insisted that you just had to requeen them but he didn't say what to requeen them with.

I sent B&B Honey Farms in MN a message. They got right back to me and said the earliest I can order a couple 3 pound packages of Hygienic Italians is January 3. So I set an alarm on my phone to remember to do it now.
I have gotten bees from them in the past and they worked out for me.
The other place in Iowa didn't return my messages anyway....

It really freaks the mail people out too when the bees come through the mail.
It's the one package I'm sure gets handled very carefully and not tossed around, footballed and smashed. :lau:gig
They do tend to make sure the package does not get accidentally opened.

I went into my hive for the last time this year. ( I hope).

I put styrofoam under and around them. I put the insulated super on top of them and surrounded them with styrofoam.

Hopefully they will be happy. It was around 60 and sunshine here today. So I had mad bees everywhere. They really have nothing to complain about, they could be in the same shape the Italians are.:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:gig

The only thing left is to put tyvek around them and a wind break. The hives looked real healthy.

I didn’t expect them to have as many bees as the do in them. They are packed. Not a lot of brood, which is to be expected.

The Russians have 3 deep supers and 2 mediums. The Canooks have 3 deeps and a medium. I don’t want them to run out of food.

CAA3E274-EC44-4350-B7AA-348F8216FF72.jpeg
A0CEB843-5C7E-4C42-8906-33A9FACFC907.jpeg
F3AE428E-A069-4DB3-BED2-640E722F0135.jpeg

We checked our only hive on Saturday... It looks like they actually accepted the queen.
That was a real shot in the dark.
There was capped worker brood, some larva and some eggs. They also got busy and got their honey capped.
There were quite a few hive beetles but the girls were actively chasing them around. The swiffers pads trapped some but I should put a couple beetle blasters in.
I took out the Apiguard mite treatment tray. I won't be winterizing until it's colder.

We checked our only hive on Saturday... It looks like they actually accepted the queen.
That was a real shot in the dark.
There was capped worker brood, some larva and some eggs. They also got busy and got their honey capped.
There were quite a few hive beetles but the girls were actively chasing them around. The swiffers pads trapped some but I should put a couple beetle blasters in.
I took out the Apiguard mite treatment tray. I won't be winterizing until it's colder.
I know you’re a Southie and all but you are just south of me. My bees are pretty much bundled up I have not seen a great number out of the hive for 10 days now.

Sunday was warm and one hive had a few hundred flying around the entrance. I figured it was orientation flight for winter workers.

I have not got tyvek around the hive yet. But it has been too warm to go all out. I want to put the tyvek around when I know none will come out to supervise.

Back
Top Bottom