The hubby wants to join the airforce.. -_-

Folks, the OP obviously has valid concerns and is talking them out.

Being mean and making her feel selfish are not helping. We are not in her shoes, so be helpful and nice or be gone.

I would worry less about it, if he isn't getting strung along by a recruiter(and he shouldn't be) then he'll probably be told straightforward, that he's not what they're looking for. He might have just saw something cool in a videogame and then figured that he could do that if he joined the military, but didn't realize how much work it actually is. some of our students here are like that.

Back on topic......

My suggestion is to have him talk to a recruiter. Ask him to gather info so the two of you can discuss it calmly and rationally before he commits to anything.

If you both can talk to the recruiter, then do so, but I don't know if that is possible.

This is a big deal and is worthy of a serious adult discussion.

Good luck!

terrielacy makes a very good point, you should both talk with the recruiter. the recruiter would prefer that anyway, it gives a better picture to them of the entire story, not just one person's side of it. we've even had girlfriends sitting with the boyfriend when they talk with recruiters before. It makes things alot easier.

Quote:
How close is the base to where you are now. I do not personally think it is fair to put your life on hold for him to do some soul searching. he sounds like he needs to grow up and the military would be the place for that. based on how you describe him once he realizes that once you join you are in and there is no turning back -- he will turn tail and run from the idea. BUT, if he doesn't is there any chance you could keep the house and stay where you are, because of the fact that he will most likely be deployed and you would be stuck without your home -- this right there would put me in a depression. Also there is basic training, that is usually several weeks. think about a split home for a while, it does work, i know, been there and one that.

i was raised in a navy family and married a navy man.

Quote:
Living on base vs off base is not necessarily optional. If you choose to live off base when on base housing is available, you will likely not receive a housing allowance. That can be a BIG cut in pay.

Every married person should support their spouse. BUT--making a decision that requires a HUGE lifestyle change must be a joint decision, and for one partner in a marriage to demand this type of change from the other is absolutely inappropriate. It is NOT something that should be supported 200% without question. I am a big fan of the Air Force; I served for 24+ years, and am a retired Air Force officer.

Yes, many of your points are well taken, but if you read past threads, this man has a tendency to flutter from one madcap idea to another, try it for awhile, then decide that no, its not for him. But while he is in the midst of that idea, he is a fanatic, giving his entire life to it without regard for his family and their best interests.

Yes, many of your points are well taken, but if you read past threads, this man has a tendency to flutter from one madcap idea to another, try it for awhile, then decide that no, its not for him. But while he is in the midst of that idea, he is a fanatic, giving his entire life to it without regard for his family and their best interests.

However, note that he's been at his current job for six years, the OP stated. To me, that's pretty stable, and may bode well for the armed services? Just a thought.​

Having lived that life and watched my daughter live 12 places before the age of 8, I can tell you from experience it is a decision that affects the entire family. I divorced my husband as the Armylife and things he saw caused some mental issues. While married the military controlled our medical care, our living location, our vacations, our holidays, our entire life.

I then married a man that was in the Army National Guard after years in the Marines whom had lost a marriage and a family after 18 years due to serving proudly and went to Desert Storm and Iraq Freedom. Thankfully he retired 3 years after we married. He was told at his retirement ceremony he made a good decision as they received orders that day to go back overseas.

Do not get me wrong I come from a military family, dad and three brothers served Air Force, Navy, Marines. I support our military members. I have seen families that made it work for them, and I bless them. BUT if both are not in it entirely then it will not work. It is a hard lifestyle. One of the most famous and repeated quotes is "If they wanted you to have a spouse, you would have been issued one"

Talking to recruiters can be a joke. Many (NOT ALL) will tell you want you want to hear. Once the person signs that contract it does not matter.

This is just my personal opinion.

Back
Top Bottom