The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
I see a Best-1 feeder by Duncraft here! I'll have to share a photo of mine today once they get washed and re-filled
Ppl
I see a Best-1 feeder by Duncraft here! I'll have to share a photo of mine today once they get washed and re-filled
yea, the are made in a town not to far from where I live. It’s one of three I currently have out...

Another,

Attachments

• E6CA7984-F57A-48AD-82C9-BDB9101A5352.jpeg
    E6CA7984-F57A-48AD-82C9-BDB9101A5352.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 4
Would love to hear how the hummingbirds are doing out there for everyone else! The pictures are always amazing to see, especially of other types we don't get my way. Any funny stories about them? How many are frequenting your feeders and how much are you having to put out?

The hummingbirds have been surprisingly slow this year here. This time a year and two years ago they were swarming! They're camera shy now for sure. This year there are very few, however they are sure to let you know where they live and where they think you need to put a feeder. My little friend is back in the woods again and she came flying around me the other day, so I tried making essentially a "camp tripod" like people suspend their cookware over a campfire with some 7ft branch poles, and she's been enjoying and using this setup ever since. Thought it was a unique way to set up a feeder and I guess they agree.

I was sitting out back by our pond this morning, just sort of relaxing while the guineas twittered around my feet. The I heard this weird sound that was almost like a low growl... as it turns out -- much to the my relief -- it was just a little female hummingbird. She zipped around a bit, hovered over some ferns about six feet away from me for a second or two, then zipped off into the woods.
She was very cute.
I need to put the feeders out....

Would love to hear how the hummingbirds are doing out there for everyone else! The pictures are always amazing to see, especially of other types we don't get my way. Any funny stories about them? How many are frequenting your feeders and how much are you having to put out?

The hummingbirds have been surprisingly slow this year here. This time a year and two years ago they were swarming! They're camera shy now for sure. This year there are very few, however they are sure to let you know where they live and where they think you need to put a feeder. My little friend is back in the woods again and she came flying around me the other day, so I tried making essentially a "camp tripod" like people suspend their cookware over a campfire with some 7ft branch poles, and she's been enjoying and using this setup ever since. Thought it was a unique way to set up a feeder and I guess they agree.
I get four on up to so far 7 at a time coming to my feeders. I get just black chinned hummingbirds.... I am near San Antonio

Our feeders have been well used so far this year, we have 5 out and they are cleaned and refilled at least every other day, I think we are using at least a pint a day and some days a quart of nectar. This week we are expecting triple digits every day after today and through at least early next week. We have misters out for the chickens and 3 bird baths we freshen daily, and all the wild birds, hummingbirds included, seem to appreciate it. It's so hot right now we even see cottontails drinking water from the "wading pools" (black rubber feed tubs) we fill and put out for the chickens, both in the runs and under trees where they seek shade.

Our female hummingbird friend was upset by me moving it briefly to get the ants taken care of. They’re very observant to eye movement, so every time I would look to the side, she would fly directly eye level with me and hover to watch me. I was holding the feeder still so she wouldn’t get bullied by the others, and wouldn’t be scared of me. She eventually came and lit on my finger, sitting for a minute while drinking- it’s been a long time since I’ve had them sit on my hands/fingers and it was wonderful to experience.

99C4790C-7136-43BE-8424-4E4AE136DAAC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom