The hunting/fishing thread!

Pics
Hey hunting and fishing people I've got a little fishing question for you. Today I went out fishing with my girlfriend and we caught some ocean catfish. I brought some thick leather gloves to help with handling them to remove the hook and such, but when I tried to the catfish used his bard and it went straight through my leather gloves without an issue and stabbed me. My question is, does anyone have any fishing gloves they can recommend so I can guarantee this doesn't happen again? I've tried just looking on Amazon but can't seem to get a specific answer there.

Hey hunting and fishing people I've got a little fishing question for you. Today I went out fishing with my girlfriend and we caught some ocean catfish. I brought some thick leather gloves to help with handling them to remove the hook and such, but when I tried to the catfish used his bard and it went straight through my leather gloves without an issue and stabbed me. My question is, does anyone have any fishing gloves they can recommend so I can guarantee this doesn't happen again? I've tried just looking on Amazon but can't seem to get a specific answer there.
Chain mail or Kevlar????? We’ve never actually used gloves for catfish. I have a little trouble picking them up sometimes especially in the kayak but mr muddy grabs them over the barb or with barb between his fingers and rarely gets stabbed

I actually use my lip gripper pliers as much as possible but here are a couple of pictures I had handy
CECB1A0D-C857-44E2-A13A-F8DE0A910AC2.jpeg
7A0FDEAC-C24D-4291-AD8B-DC61E9C3CBBB.jpeg

While I normally don’t fish catfish, as they are a sub par fish reserved for southies that can’t catch real fish like northern pike or muskies, I have caught some.

I handle them the same way Mr Muddy does with the top barb between my fingers and the other fingers and thumb holding the sides.

The trick is to not be timid and hold them firmly. If you don’t they can wiggle around and poke you.

Being poked against your will is no fun!

When we were kids we fished bullheads ( the Iowain state fish) so I practiced this early on.

I find catfish easier to hold than bullheads because they are so much larger and their poker is easier to keep between my fingers.

The smaller pokers on the bullhead can slip between your fingers and poke if you aren’t careful.

Maybe if your hands are smaller though you should practice on bullheads.

I have always thought of fishing gloves as a gimmicky thing made to catch suckers. Like a ton of other things in the tackle stores.

Trying to get into hunting groove again…..wanted to go tomorrow morning but one of headlamps has dead batteries and mini has to catch the bus so decided to wait and go Saturday morning instead. We have to build a new skinning rig too before we get our first one
We have three weeks before we can go. Which should give me time to heal a little more.

Back
Top Bottom