The hunting/fishing thread!

Pics
Had a great hunting experience for Michigan elk. Nice 5x6 bull. Named him Waldo as it took a couple of days to finally find him in an open field.

Attachments

• FullSizeR_20211214_105820.jpg
    FullSizeR_20211214_105820.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 5
I have been out heavily all throughout October. I had seen a 4 point three times last week. I found where he was bedding by accidentally bumping two deer out of there one afternoon. All I saw was tails, so wasn't sure what they were. After they left I had a good sneak around in that section and found about a dozen fresh scrapes in about 20 acres of woods. There were some signs that there was a deer bigger than the 4 point so I was hopeful. I knew they were leaving there, crossing a field and rubbing trees along a 200 yd stretch of drainage ditch that split a field.

I didn't want to blow them out of the woodlot, and with the rut coming I knew they would soon abandon the rub line, so I decided to sit in a fence row at the far end of it last Saturday evening. Throughout the evening I had made a couple of grunts, then did some rattling and later, a few doe bleats. By 6:40 it was still quiet except for a possum that came out of the grass about 6 feet from me and sniffed around. I took a picture and texted a buddy, who said all was quiet in his stand.

I packed up my stuff and was ready to walk out when I saw what looked like a coyote in the field in front of me. As I watched it, I realized it was a deer walking towards me. There was a little gulley in the field so I could only see the head and neck, which looked like a coyote sitting down in the fading light. The deer made a beeline for me and I noticed it was a bigger deer than the 4 point I had been seeing. By then I was getting focused on a shot opportunity, which looked likely. When the deer got to about 30 yds across the ditch from me I had the crossbow up and on him. He turn to quarter ever so slightly towards me and I let the bolt fly. There was a very loud *smack* and he swapped ends and headed back across the field. He only made it about half way and I got to watch him go down. I stood there for a couple of minutes, then slowly walked back to the truck. By then about ½ an hour had passed, so I drove back and pointed my lights into the field where I saw him go down, found him on the second try.

He has 11 scoreable points. We got 106 lbs of meat, which puts him around 240 lbs live weight. I went for a walk in the woodlot he was living in to find something to mount his skull on (there's a lot of lunk piles in there) and came home with the red boards.

I still have a tag for muzzleloader season in early December, but feeling very blessed for now!

Good luck everyone!
IMG_20221029_191303.jpg
IMG_20221029_192026.jpg
IMG_20221102_094955.jpg

Hey Ralphie who helped catch those crappie ? Be careful of rabid pike .
Here was my helper today:

76117D88-E01C-43F6-BEEB-7F023FB01203.jpeg

58B7D73F-F583-418F-BF03-6BE41D15A954.jpeg

That my youngest Granddaughter. That is not a peace sign, that means she caught 2 fish.

We did good today, we got 30 larger bluegills, 5 crappies and one northern.

But some idiot ran right over top my tip up. First time I used it. Stop said he didn’t see it and took off. I am out the 29 bucks. How do you not see a fluorescent green disc and flag sitting on the ice in the middle of the lake?

Nope, now that we know you’re here, we want to see more of you!
It is really quite simple. Several years ago BYC had a writing contest and the winner reviewed a all expense trip to Australia.

I won it, because my writing is heads and tail above the second best writer here on BYC. The second best was Blooie. She wanted in on my trip. The WW was against my taking Blooie instead of her.

Well, because of the hullabaloo Blooie and the WW caused over wanting to go on a vacation with me, and because @Blooie is a sore loser and started rumors about my cheating. Even though it’s pretty hard to cheat on an essay which has never had one even remotely like written before.

As you can see it got complicated. Even @casportpony got into the fray claiming some of her writing was superior to mine, which of course, everyone knows it’s not.

In an attempt to win the trip, the two of them conspired together, they wrote the FBI and TSA telling them I was a terrorist, and trying to get a bomb on the plane.

To make the story shorter, in the end the voucher I had received from BYC for spending was canceled, the airfare was revoked. They claimed it was on the advice of their attorneys.

The above is all true and correct to the best of my memory on this day.

🤞

Walked the three large blocks of woods around our place in the past week looking for turkey sign since the season opens in 3 weeks. Not a trace of a bird anywhere yet. If you happen to see a large flock of turkeys flying over, please send them my way!

Got bored last week and installed legs on my turkey seat so I'd have a nice backrest if I wasn't against a tree.
IMG_20230314_170756.jpg

IMG_20230314_170738.jpg

Then I got more bored and ordered a turkey vest that has them built in. 🤣

Last edited:
For the opening day of turkey season I went to a semi-new place I used to call coyotes at a few years ago. The morning had several toms gobbling on the roost, and at least one came very close, but stayed in the trees rather than coming into the field I was set up in. After they wandered off I scouted the area they flew down into and got some great Intel for my next visit.

In the afternoon I walked our woodlot and the one across the road, where I sat and called some. This guy came in silently and gave me a short peek. After 5 minutes of raking the ground and calling softly, I thought he had skirted around me, but then popped up right in front of me at 15 yards. Anything over 20lbs is big around here, so I'm very lucky.

I've got 5 weeks to get another one, and last year I used every one of those days to get it done. 🤣
IMG_20230425_174357.jpg
IMG_20230425_173328.jpg
IMG_20230425_181442.jpg

Back
Top Bottom