Pigeon questions

Paz

Crowing
Jul 15, 2022
The Middle East
So apparently they banned all “sports hunting” in my country and canceled hunting season (August-November), except for pests.
Are pigeons considered pests? And am I allowed to eat the pests? If I feed said pests, are they still considered pests? Are they considered “wildlife” if I feed them? Is it even considered “sport hunting” if my main goal is to eat them?
The law doesn’t say anything about eating the hunted, it also doesn’t specify the difference between sport hunting and just hunting for food.
Bottom line: can I still eat the pigeons in my backyard that I feed?

It seems they did not ban hunting, they specified "sport" hunting. In your country, are there animals that would be hunted to prove something? In my country deer hunting is considered sport hunting even though most people will eat the meat. Bear hunting is sport hunting, but if one is in on your porch you can kill it as a pest.

Pigeons would be a pest in a city.

It seems they did not ban hunting, they specified "sport" hunting. In your country, are there animals that would be hunted to prove something? In my country deer hunting is considered sport hunting even though most people will eat the meat. Bear hunting is sport hunting, but if one is in on your porch you can kill it as a pest.

Pigeons would be a pest in a city.
We have animals that are illegal to hunt, then we have prey animals, which are hunted in seasons, sometimes with a license, and then we have population control animals, which anyone can hunt.

The law doesn’t specify which pigeons are considered pests and can be hunted whenever for population control and which are considered prey and can only be hunted with a special license now.

So, you've answered your own question, you need a license. In the U.S., most places you do not need a license to hunt pigeons in rural areas. In a city you can't discharge a firearm.

So, you've answered your own question, you need a license. In the U.S., most places you do not need a license to hunt pigeons in rural areas. In a city you can't discharge a firearm.
I don’t hunt them with a firearm. That would be illegal! My question is more about wether pigeons are considered pests or wildlife. And then which pigeons are considered pests and which are considered wildlife. And also what is considered “sports hunting”.

Back
Top Bottom