The hunting/fishing thread!

Pics
I watched this guy all summer long. We first noticed him in April and set up the game cam. He hangs out near where my stand is. DH went out to the stand two days before shotgun season started and saw him. I was in my stand every evening during the season and never saw him. DH went out a week after the season ended, and watched him come out of the trees with a harem of 6 does. Today he showed up on the game cam again. I’m convinced he had his calendar marked for slug season. Hopefully he doesn’t know about muzzleloaders.

1B3D89C3-4F50-4DEE-A870-47FD6B19224E.jpeg

As I fight boredom, I take photos. Here are photos of my primitive rifle.

It is a Thompson 50 cal. I use 150 grains of powder pellets and 250 grain sabot lead.

With a cute little primer.

View attachment 2912460
Above is my antique Thompson

View attachment 2912461

This is my ancient open site on the end of the barrel. Below is the one near the breech.View attachment 2912464

I think I might put an 1740s model scope on it next year. I would also like to get 2 more like this so I have three shots instead of one.

I have one more Thompson 50 but it has the flash pan and not the primer. It is too hot or miss for the modern meat hunter like myself. Also if the powder gets wet. Goooo bye. Deer…

Below is the simple action. Nothing to go wrong. Note I am wearing camo. We only need orange during firearms season. Here .

View attachment 2912476

Besides photos I count birds. I think there are a thousand and 27 robins here today, no doubt getting ready for a flight to a tropical wintering location somewhere in the Deep South like Iowa.
Hats off to you muzzle loader hunters . I tried it 20 plus years ago . Our season for them is in December . Cold and often miserable . Plus you got to shoot to unload and then clean it . After I traded mine some guys said oh I just put a ballon over the barrel to keep out moisture . Leave it loaded all weekend . However it is illegal in IL to transport a loaded firearm . So if you drive to your hunting spot that is a problem . Too much trouble to hunt in a season with miserable weather .

Gun season starts tomorrow in Ohio. Hubby and son are gonna go out again, hope they get something this time. Hubby will be using the new 350 Legend, son will be using the 410 again
Good to see 410 allowed .Great for youth . IL does not allow 410 . They consider 410 to be 44 caliber and 45 caliber is the minimum .

Hats off to you muzzle loader hunters . I tried it 20 plus years ago . Our season for them is in December . Cold and often miserable . Plus you got to shoot to unload and then clean it . After I traded mine some guys said oh I just put a ballon over the barrel to keep out moisture . Leave it loaded all weekend . However it is illegal in IL to transport a loaded firearm . So if you drive to your hunting spot that is a problem . Too much trouble to hunt in a season with miserable weather .
I never unload mine until season is over. I just put a latex glove over the end. If I fire it I use the glove when I gut the deer.

I don’t believe a gun without a primer on it or powder in the flash pan is loaded. It is not capable of firing in that condition.

I keep my rifle in the shed so I only walk the length of 4 extensions cords to my stand every day.

One year I was up on the stand and noticed a deer out in the open eating some grass. I looked thru my scope and saw no antlers, even checked twice. Cocked my rifle and fired. The deer must have heard the cock and turned away as I fired. I tracked it to a small stream and went to find some one to help me drag it out. When we got back my helper held one of the deer's hind legs up and said that's not a doe. :th
Once we pulled him out I realized I had shot him in the behind (got the femeral artery)
From then on everyone at the camp called me "the a$$ master". :lau :lau
The old "Texas heart shot" 😁

The muzzleloader season in my homeland starts a week from today. 😢 It was one of the highlights of my year. I group hunted deer for the first week of December and coyotes all winter with the same gang. I'll definitely miss it this year.

This is last year's archery buck.
1609378639130.jpg
IMG_20210104_110430.jpg

I need to relive that one for now. 😁

As for muzzleloaders, I always tape the muzzle with electrical tape to keep it clean and dry. Shooting through the tape has no affect on accuracy. I take the primer out and leave the rest, but keep the gun in the garage overnight so it doesn't warm up and form condensation in the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom