The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
I wish I could be of more help. Hopefully a jubilee genetics expert will chime in. Are jubilee wheaten based? The incomplete stripes on your babies makes me think of a pattern gene but then it could be wild type e allele combined with a dilution gene, but then again a dilution gene would be cancelled by mahogany. Buff with a pattern gene perhaps?
idunno.gif

I don't know the answer to any of those questions yet. These chicks were a surprise! We are excited to work with this very beautiful breed. I will be honest and say I don't really know much of anything about it yet.

I don't know the answer to any of those questions yet. These chicks were a surprise! We are excited to work with this very beautiful breed. I will be honest and say I don't really know much of anything about it yet.
We all have to start somewhere. This color variety is new to me as well.
smile.png

Quote:
I have sold my Jubilees to a friend but they were directly from GFF. I did get chicks with stripes when I bred them and some without. I was going to mark each and try to identify any differences as they grew out but never did. The breed is just not for me... too big. There was no visible abnormalities in my birds when they became adults and chick down is not part of the APA standard though it may denote aspects of genotype. You could mark them and then watch them grow out and see if there are discernible differences. You could choose to keep the ones that appeared more 'normal' as chicks according to the posts here and breed them or acquire an unrelated mate and go that route. I would be wary of taking too drastic a step without really investigating all the possibilities and learning what you can about the breed. You ultimately have to be happy with your decision and flock. a
I was told to get rid of my CCL rooster when I posted photos on BYC when I first got him in 2011 and by quite a few folks, but I chose to do differently. Now I have a beautiful and full cream colored Cream Legbar flock.

Speckled Sussex have wildtype chick down.

Wasn't there someone marketing "Poor Man's Jubilees", which were a Jubilee Orp roo bred to Speckled Sussex hens?

If those genetics were then propagated unknowingly, or without proper disclosure, this could explain why some folks are now seeing the variations in down color in their Jubilees.

It's sad really, how quickly a variety can degrade because people are out to make a quick buck.

I agree whole heartedly Jeremy. I would only fault the breeder that was irresponsible and if they were sold as "pure" English and were not. I would say you get what you pay for but some of these people sell the faux varieties for the same prices. ....Hopefully people really do their research and ask many questions when looking for these birds. It's the same add canine breeding but without paperwork to back it up really, so if someone can't answer a question easily that should throw up a huge red flag. But like someone mentioned earlier, even gff has this in their lines. So that must have originated over seas unless gff buys stock from here as well. And if that's the case, why pay 1000$ at gff when you can get the same stock they have for less probably. (That turned into several topics, sorry guys)

Last edited:
Hello everyone! New to this thread, been skimming through it.

I currently have 2 lavender orpingtons, & I really like their huge eggs so looking into adding another color orpington. I was considering the Jubilee.

I will not be breeding them as I live in town, so I will only keep 1 maybe 2 of the girls and rehome any others that hatch. I do not show any of my birds, they are for my personal enjoyment. That being said, I like to have high quality birds. I have found hatching eggs for the jubilee anywhere from $40-$200. Though more expensive doesn't always mean better.

What should I be looking for as far as the coloring? Like what would be the SOP? I don't know much about the jubilee other than some look more like a deep Mille Fleur pattern and some look almost mottled.

Thanks for helping a newbie!

As they age, they will get more white in them, so keep that in mind when looking at parents, also, there are a lot that have a darker ring around there neck, that is a flaw and for me, takes away from the look. They should have a mahogany ground colour with black spangles with white tips, white shanks and feet and red eyes.

But, color is minor. Type is what really makes an Orpington. If you don't look at an Orp and say, OMG that is a big bird, it's just not the real deal, haha.

If you really want some nice birds, join some Orpington facebook pages, and just spectate for a while, it won't take long, you'll see pic after pic of gorgeous birds and also find out who has the good ones :)

Can the Jubilees have blue eyes? One of the well know breeders here in the U.S. has pictures of Jubilees with blue eyes. Since technically there is no APA standard for them, the "official" answer is yes. But is that common?

They have just recognized jubilee, among a few other colors, in the British standard. If I'm not mistaken, blue is the correct color, i may be wrong though. Also, there is talk of the apa considering to judge both an English AND American variety for Orpington. I think that would skyrocket interest in the showing arena here.

They have just recognized jubilee, among a few other colors, in the British standard. If I'm not mistaken, blue is the correct color, i may be wrong though. Also, there is talk of the apa considering to judge both an English AND American variety for Orpington. I think that would skyrocket interest in the showing arena here.
That's what I thought. The breeder (which I will not name) has some of the most beautify jubilees I have seen. But one of the pics had blue eyes. So I just wanted to see what was expected.

Back
Top Bottom