The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
@chrissyr I had zero hatch from shipped Jubilee eggs. Part of the problem is the eggs were really dirty/poopy. Most were fertile but died early or middle of hatch. Next time, I bought some cheaper eggs that I picked up locally (and were naturally clean), and had 6/7 hatch, so I know it wasn't me or my incubator. I won't ever buy hatching eggs again through the mail unless I know the breeder personally, and even then, you are lucky if you get a 50% hatch.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that jubilee chicks should have chipmunk (wild type) striping on their backs.  None of my jubilee chicks had the type of chick down pictured.
[/quote

Be happy to hear on that myself. Everyone of these little ones passed from being smooshed. They were the only ones I lost out of 40 chicks. I kept them seperate the first night and lost 2,then added them with the chocolates and lost them one by one. Unreal.

Is anyone have any luck with shipped eggs?
I got a low hatch rate the first time and this last time it looks like I have 3/3 boys.
I need more pullets :)

Out of 6 eggs purchased from Old Path Farms, 3 hatched. One died at a few days old by getting smushed (I assume). All in all, not bad. They did both turn out to be boys but that's what I needed! Additionally, that was about the same percentage of other breeds hatching in that round of incubation.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that jubilee chicks should have chipmunk (wild type) striping on their backs.  None of my jubilee chicks had the type of chick down pictured.
[/quote

Be happy to hear on that myself. Everyone of these little ones passed from being smooshed. They were the only ones I lost out of 40 chicks. I kept them seperate the first night and lost 2,then added them with the chocolates and lost them one by one. Unreal.

Poor babies! Could they have possibly been sick? None of mine had the stripes, but I have heard that it is possible for pure Jubilees to have them. Maybe it depends on the line?

Out of 6 eggs purchased from Old Path Farms, 3 hatched. One died at a few days old by getting smushed (I assume). All in all, not bad. They did both turn out to be boys but that's what I needed! Additionally, that was about the same percentage of other breeds hatching in that round of incubation.
Poor babies! Could they have possibly been sick? None of mine had the stripes, but I have heard that it is possible for pure Jubilees to have them. Maybe it depends on the line?

Old path farms ? Anyone who ships on the western side of is preferred (shorter shipping). But I did get Marans from the easy coast to CA and get 60% hatch. I've heard certain hubs are hard on eggs
Jubilees: I got 1/8 hatch, then 3/16 hatch so I'd be thrilled with 50%!

Old path farms ? Anyone who ships on the western side of is preferred (shorter shipping). But I did get Marans from the easy coast to CA and get 60% hatch. I've heard certain hubs are hard on eggs
Jubilees: I got 1/8 hatch, then 3/16 hatch so I'd be thrilled with 50%!

I believe Old Path Fatms is in South Carolina, won them on an auction site. I'm in Oklahoma, so they went halfway across the country pretty safely!

I asked a while ago about this little guy, and I'm now sure he's a little cockerel. I can't keep him and am terribly sad about it. Is there anyone within a few hours of central Pennsylvania who is looking for a 7 week old future rooster? I got him as a day-old from Lancaster Fancy Fowl, who say their Jubilees are from the Sandra Hildreth ( Orpingtons Galore UK) and Mark Sacre (Heirloom Orpingtons UK) lines. He's getting more beautiful every day. The breeder says they will take roosters back, but I'm not certain what happens in that case, and I just really want to know he's going to a good home. I'm really new to chickens and would also just appreciate input on what I should do. Thank you!

We hatch shipped eggs often and other than a few routes we have good hatches. We recently hatched 13 of 13 white Bresse out of Indiana. We have also had zero hatches. We also ship all over the country with good success.

They acted perfectly fine to be sick? Not sure? I called the breeder to ask him if his jubilees were fragile. He claimed they were not? I lost them one by one,without any other losses?? 40 some chicks all from same place? Only the six jubilees were crushed each night?

I hear it goes that way? Ha

They acted perfectly fine to be sick? Not sure? I called the breeder to ask him if his jubilees were fragile. He claimed they were not? I lost them one by one,without any other losses?? 40 some chicks all from same place? Only the six jubilees were crushed each night?

I hear it goes that way? Ha

It certainly doesn't seem right, but I suppose it could be coincidental. :(

@frannyglass Try advertising him on here (buy, sell, trade) as well a Craigslist. If you want at least mild assurance that he won't wind up in the freezer, try to get at least $10 for him. Not sure whether it's easier to sell them while they are young, or when they are a little bit older. Jubilee cockerels are pretty funny looking at that age. I have a 3 month old Jubilee cockerel advertised now, and at least he is past the "ugly" chick stage.

If you just can't have roosters, try to find a veterinarian who will caponize him for you. The testes are removed, just like a cat or dog being neutered, and they don't have any testosterone to drive them to do the things that roos do, like crow all day. On a technicality, I think a "no rooster" rule would be hard to enforce if the bird was caponized and reasonably quiet.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom