The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
Whats more desirable in Jubilees? Bigger white spots or smaller? More white spots or less. Dark Mahogany or lighter? Any black spots are acceptable or desirable?

Hello I am very new to Orpingtons, I was given some orpington hatching eggs from a friend and wanted to get some opinions on these 2 jubilee orps... they are both 8 weeks
I also have 1 lavender, 2 Blue, 1 splash, and 4 BLRW

very sure this one is a boy, much lighter without the dark mahogany color

I am hoping this one is a girl

Hi all! Just wanted to show my birdies! I am told they are 100% english, and by the size of them, i would believe it.. they are 14 weeks old in the pictures and already as big as my wyandottes! I have one cockeral and 2 pullets and they are the sweetest scaredy chickens I have!

Hello I am very new to Orpingtons, I was given some orpington hatching eggs from a friend and wanted to get some opinions on these 2 jubilee orps... they are both 8 weeks
I also have 1 lavender, 2 Blue, 1 splash, and 4 BLRW

very sure this one is a boy, much lighter without the dark mahogany color

I am hoping this one is a girl

They dont really look like pure jubilees to me. Mine were 8 weeks when i got them and they have only changed in size so far.

I like the color of your BLRW in the back tho! Nice yellow legs!

Here are some pics of my 8 weeks old Jubilees. Pics are not that great since they don't stand still. However, I would appreciate comments on the quality and any obvious cockerels:

Pic 1- Pullet?

Pic 2- Same Chick but from a little distance. What about the one to its left?

Pic 3- Cockerel? Does the one behind him with head up seem like a pullet?

Pic 4- Slightly lighter color- Far left- Pullet?

Pic 5- Pullet/cockerel?

1. Pullet
2. Pullets (the same one as above and the one to its left)
3. Cockerel and pullet
4. Pullet
5. Photo not sharp enough to really guess

Looks like you're coming out OK!

I will warn you that Jubilees can do "sex changes." When mine were younger than yours, I thought I had 4 cockerels and 1 pullet (sigh sigh sigh). Then I was relieved that one "cockerel" maybe was a pullet based on its appearance later on. Well, now a pullet has morphed into a cockerel (getting the distinctive lower back and tail feathers, plus a larger comb and wattles). They are now 5 months old, and the one pullet to cockerel transition just happened over the last month. Just a very slow developer, I think. It was smaller and picked on as a younger chick, so perhaps that's why it is only now showing secondary sex characteristics, being suppressed by three bigger and more dominant brothers who all hung out together (we called them the Three Amigos). It might have started developing after I sold the most dominant one to someone else. One of its brothers that I kept is already crowing. So now I have to sell another cockerel at a loss....I am sick about it. I will say it is better looking as a cockerel than it was when I thought it was a pullet, though.

I've had much better luck hatching eggs that I drove to get (sometimes 500 miles roundtrip). In my first hatch of lavenders, I got two roos and 4 pullets, which is almost exactly what I wanted. I'm still waiting to see how my black/lav splits (with import line black fathers) turn out. I drove 300 miles roundtrip for those eggs. I have seven chicks too young to try to sex reliably. The roosters that the breeder had in his breeding pen were the BIGGEST chickens I have ever seen in my life (also nice type and plumage).

1. Pullet
2. Pullets (the same one as above and the one to its left)
3. Cockerel and pullet
4. Pullet
5. Photo not sharp enough to really guess

Looks like you're coming out OK!

I will warn you that Jubilees can do "sex changes." When mine were younger than yours, I thought I had 4 cockerels and 1 pullet (sigh sigh sigh). Then I was relieved that one "cockerel" maybe was a pullet based on its appearance later on. Well, now a pullet has morphed into a cockerel (getting the distinctive lower back and tail feathers, plus a larger comb and wattles). They are now 5 months old, and the one pullet to cockerel transition just happened over the last month. Just a very slow developer, I think. It was smaller and picked on as a younger chick, so perhaps that's why it is only now showing secondary sex characteristics, being suppressed by three bigger and more dominant brothers who all hung out together (we called them the Three Amigos). It might have started developing after I sold the most dominant one to someone else. One of its brothers that I kept is already crowing. So now I have to sell another cockerel at a loss....I am sick about it. I will say it is better looking as a cockerel than it was when I thought it was a pullet, though.

I've had much better luck hatching eggs that I drove to get (sometimes 500 miles roundtrip). In my first hatch of lavenders, I got two roos and 4 pullets, which is almost exactly what I wanted. I'm still waiting to see how my black/lav splits (with import line black fathers) turn out. I drove 300 miles roundtrip for those eggs. I have seven chicks too young to try to sex reliably. The roosters that the breeder had in his breeding pen were the BIGGEST chickens I have ever seen in my life (also nice type and plumage).
Are the pics good enough to comment on the quality?
The chicks are surprisingly doing well now, since I got rid of the 2 ruts. Their behavior has changed as well and they are no longer jumpy and skittish, in fact I am able to get close to them and hold them without much resistance. I am sure when I introduce them to treats they will become even better.

P.S. I did not realize you were in Indiana. Are you North of Indianapolis or South?

Ok, I am posting some better pictures of my Jubilees. Looking for comment on their quality as well as gender. I know its a little early to tell but I have to get rid of 4 of the 7 by the end of the month due to space constraints. I would prefer to keep 1 cockerel and 2 pullets. Also posting this on Orpington thread so advance apologies to those to subscribe to both threads. Captions are under each image:

Mocha-Sasha-Pic#1- Pullet?

Mocha-Sasha-Pic#2

Nathan Pic#1-Cockerel?

Nathan-Pic#2

Nathan-Pic#3

Pepper-Pic#1-Pullet?

Pepper-Pic#2

Red-Pic#1-Pullet?

Red-Pic#2

Red-Pic#3

Sasha-Pic#1-Pullet?

Sasha-Pic#2

Sasha-Pic#3

Shorty-Pic#1 Pullet/cockerel?

Shorty-Pic#2

Shorty-Pic#3

Tyson-Pic#1-Cockerel?

Tyson-Pic#2

Tyson-Pic#3

Tyson is the biggest and the most beautiful, but also the most aggressive. He is constantly beating up everyone contrary to Orpington behavior, I wonder if he will be a problem rooster when he grows up.

Nathan, Pepper, and Sasha all have nice typey coloring. I'm in Nashville, TN and if you decide to get rid of any of those 3, let me know. I have a nice English Jubilee girl who is the bottom of our pecking order who would love a friend or a boyfriend. :)

Nathan, Pepper, and Sasha all have nice typey coloring. I'm in Nashville, TN and if you decide to get rid of any of those 3, let me know. I have a nice English Jubilee girl who is the bottom of our pecking order who would love a friend or a boyfriend.
smile.png
I wish I was able to ship but I am not NPIP certified. Maybe can plan a half way road trip :)

Back
Top Bottom