The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
I'm not sure if there is another thread-but I have a flock of Jubilee Orpingtons (Chickenhill line) that I am selling(one rooster, 1 hen, 6 10 month old pullets). Open to reasonable offers, as we need pen room. It is snowing like mad here, but here are 3 photos from November.
Remember the older they get the more white that will appear

Last edited:
WOW! That's cheap. All the full grown Jubilee Orps I've seen are $50+ each, with most being around $75 each. I guess it just depends on where you get your stock though, because I wouldn't sell any of my full grown birds for less than $50 each. At $50 each, you're not making any money. Not with the time, food, bedding, lighting, incubator, etc, etc, etc. that you have put into them.
I am not certain as to what is going on here and I read and reread. Chicks go for less than hens. It appeared one is quoting chick prices a d then someone comes in with hen prices. Never the tween shall meet. Prices from the breed hatchery where I got mine are way higher than what I can sell then for. Tred lightly here. Follow the English line not the German line. Research it yourself. TheGerman line is not the coloring you would want. Also not too much white on a hen. Not good. Check across the pond. Stay away from advice of those selling on this side of the pond. Someone last week beat me to a pulp and had my posts deleted and temp banned me because I said, I am not selling, I do not sell eggs, I do not ship chicks. But I did post my prices and said DONT be gutted by big breeder hatchers that got stuck with the wrong colors and know full well that most of their breeders are not what the breed will be in description in any APA standards. Stay away from German lines. Stay away from the lighter colored. Stay away from those with too much white.

Last edited:
Not sure how they do it for chickens, more familiar with rabbits. Is there a working standard anyone has set up yet? Something with written guidelines? In rabbits the presenter has to provide a written standard, which is then open to everyone and their mother to interpret as they choose:)

Please forgive me but I have not taken the time to read all 97 pages.
I set 12 Jubilee Orp eggs last night. ( I have BO now)
Can JO's be wing feather sexed at hatch? is there a accurate way (short of vent sexing) to sex day old or week old, or 3-4 week old chicks?

thanks
Greg

I sure hope so. I haven't noticed differences in wing feathers but maybe the few I've hatched will all end up being cockerels. When I hatched out my first Jubilee chicks I didn't worry much about it since I knew I'd grow them all out in order to get the best for my breeding flock but I was surprised how long it took to be able to tell the difference. I'm trying to add some pullets but I certainly don't want to grow these chicks out for 6 months before I can tell which ones are cockerels. Hopefully I'll have a week with enough chicks hatch so I can really compare them. So far I'm only hatching 2-3 per week.

WOW! That's cheap. All the full grown Jubilee Orps I've seen are $50+ each, with most being around $75 each. I guess it just depends on where you get your stock though, because I wouldn't sell any of my full grown birds for less than $50 each. At $50 each, you're not making any money. Not with the time, food, bedding, lighting, incubator, etc, etc, etc. that you have put into them.
I agree!

A fully sexed bird grown out is costly. We are certified organic and it is costly, not to mention NPIP certification.

Does anyone here in BYC specifically sell JO chicks?
I have a BO I just love but the JO's...! ((Swoon!!)) Hope to have some eventually and would like to get them from a reputable, trusted source.

Thanks for any info, friends!!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Question- Is it normal for Jubilee Orps to have extra toes? A couple of my newly hatched chicks have a little feathering on their legs, which I found out can happen in the English breeds, but I just noticed that two of them have an extra toe on their left foot, looking a little like a silkie. One of them even has a strange little split toe with two nails on the other foot. These were sold to me as 100% English bloodline Jubilee Orpingtons from Marc Sacre and Greenfire Farms lines. Anyone know anything about this toe business?

Back
Top Bottom