The incredible story of Gimpy, the black skinned, featherless, one legged chicken with pics!!

Have the geneticists who are producing the type of chickens that Ingbar and Gimpy are, had a lot of problems when it comes to their immune system ? Or had as many runts like in comparison to their feathered white leghorn brothers ?

No, they are pretty healthy in all, no immune problems & runts only caused by food competition or leg problems. Mine were the smallest in the flock & are now average for their age after competition for food was removed. They don't differ from the feathered birds in any way except heat retention & of course, that they look like dinosaurs
tongue.png

First of all, yay to you for saving a cull. Hope he recovers from his amputation.
Second: I had no idea there are featherless chickens out there! I thought the closest they came to getting featherless poultry was the naked necks. Why are these not more popular? It would save a huge amount of time with plucking, for those of us who raise our own meat birds. And commercially it would be easier too, I guess. They are kinda cute. In their own way.

Thanks.
I guess they aren't popular because they need consistantly hot climates & indoor accommodation. The winters even here are far too cold for them & I have them under heat lamps 24/7. Summer is another story though :)

That is really an AMAZING story! Thanks for sharing it with us! I have always wanted a Necked Neck chicken, but NOW I want a featherless chicken. I hope he, and the other two will live a long and happy life with you!

First of all, yay to you for saving a cull. Hope he recovers from his amputation.
Second: I had no idea there are featherless chickens out there! I thought the closest they came to getting featherless poultry was the naked necks. Why are these not more popular? It would save a huge amount of time with plucking, for those of us who raise our own meat birds. And commercially it would be easier too, I guess. They are kinda cute. In their own way.

Well if you might get close to those naked hens, if you ever have some frizzle cochin and it's molting time. I don't know if you ever watched the molting chicken contest, but their was one called Ku Fu Henny. You can see her at this link under post 352. I wonder if maybe the geneticists are using frizzled genes as well to get rid of feathers. Because between the two you see the comparison.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...lt-pictures-fall-winter-2012/350#post_9918883

wow, what a story! i had no idea a chicken even existed like that. I think it's wonderful the time, care and effort you have put forth to save him. I hope he continues to improve.

Frizzle genes weren't used. It was a spontaneous mutation that was then bred to the others, genotyped & isolated.
The other black chick is a male & is making strangled crowing noises. He will be neutered under anesthetic this week or next as a crowing house chicken will be too much for an apartment.

Back
Top Bottom