The Incubating has begun...Update *Bad News*

oooh, did you open the bator gator????? Sorry, I couldn't resist!
lau.gif

Hey Gator, I put the eggs in at 5pm on July 14th. I counted the 15th as day 1 and that puts us on day 21 today.

I did hear a very quiet "peep peep" as I was putting a little more water in the bator. This was via a straw through the vent. I haven't opened the bator since the evening of the 17th day.

It just seems strange to me that yesterday I heard "peeps" several times and today virtually nothing. That coupled with no pips, has me quite anxious.

If all continues as is, I might just leave them be through day 22 and wait till 23 to open the bator to candle. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though.

Shane

Hey Gator, I did decide this morning to go ahead and candle the eggs.

3 eggs were virtually clear. These were eggs I had misgivings about keeping in the bator anyway.

4 eggs were still very dark and had a large aircell. However, I did not see any movement at all. Nothing.

The last egg was very quietly peeping occassionally. I could see movement and also what looked like a heart beat. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Anyway, I'm certainly disappointed but I do hope the one at least makes it. Although I'm not sure what he or she's waiting for.

I hope he does something today or tomorrow.

Shane

Bad News
sad.png

I had to be gone Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning, so I was axious to get home to see my eggs.

Nothing had changed. I candled and there was no movement. I decided then to open the eggs to see what happened.

The one egg that had previously peeped had a fully developed chick inside with a full yoke. It had died for some reason though. The other 4 eggs looked like they had developed until day 14 or so. They were fully feathered but I didn't look much closer than that.

What a sad day... a very depressing first incubating experience.

Shane

Im sorry about your eggs ): I wanted to mention that I tried using an egg carton during the last 3 days of hatching, to prevent them from being kicked around by the hatched ones. All those chicks died, Im not sure what happened. And also-I adjusted the temp of my hovabator and killed all my chicks too. When I bought my dickey incubator, it was set on 102F. The chicks hatched fine, though on rare occasion Id get a crossbeaked one. Ive lowered the temp to 100, my humidity is nearly always above 70 because I'd need a dehumidifeir to do otherwise /:. I havent lost a fertile egg in the Dickey yet though. I <3 that incubator.

I wanted to ask you all something about the nearly fully developed chick that I cracked open. It's beak was kind of twisted. The top went to the right and the bottom went to the left. It was a terrible sight. Melilem, is this what you meant by a "crossbeaked" chick?

Whatever it was, I am guessing that this is why it was unable to pip the shell. It makes me feel terrible that it died in the shell. However, I believe I read in another post by Melilem, it would be worse to have helped only to have to put the chick down because of such a terrible deformity.

On a postive note, the seller I bought the eggs from is shipping me another dozen just for the cost of shipping. Hopefully this time things will go better!

Thanks for all of your input everyone!!

Shane

Back
Top Bottom