The Incubator Thread

So far not a fan of the egg holders. My first attempt to load a tray gave me the impression you need to have consistent size eggs for the entire row.

THANKS!
What makes you think that?

Brinsea is a great incubator----and they know that eggs are different sizes----why would they build a incubator that would have to have the same size eggs through-out?

Last edited:
Hi, I started 5 eggs on (1/27/15) I've tried incubating before with no luck so I done less eggs this time they come from my own chicken yard because I do not have any hens that will set on them. Today is day 23 I've had one pip and start too open up but it stopped yesterday I'm asumming it's dead now, but I can hear the others making noise & see them moving should I remove the one that's dead? I don't want too open the bator unless it's absolutly not gonna mess up the others.

Hi, I started 5 eggs on (1/27/15) I've tried incubating before with no luck so I done less eggs this time they come from my own chicken yard because I do not have any hens that will set on them. Today is day 23 I've had one pip and start too open up but it stopped yesterday I'm asumming it's dead now, but I can hear the others making noise & see them moving should I remove the one that's dead? I don't want too open the bator unless it's absolutly not gonna mess up the others.
If you started them on 1-27 today would be day 22----day one for them starts 24 hours after you set them----so day 1 would be the 28th. Did you stop turning them and candle them on day 18 and increase the moisture? The one that might be dead will be fine. If you open it you might or might not cause a problem 50/50 chance-----If you do not open it then there is 100% certainty you did not cause a problem by not opening it. Your temp could be a little low which would cause a delay. Give it another 24 hours and see what things look like.

If you decide to try hatching again get with some of us on here(PM would be fine if you prefer)----before you ever set your incubator and let someone with alot of experience talk you through the whole process---day by day. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thank you! I did stop turning them & I have been ok top of the temp but I used only the thermometer that came with the incubator! I've read a lot of yalls advice so the next round I'll be more prepared & educated on what to do from beginning to end.

Thank you! I did stop turning them & I have been ok top of the temp but I used only the thermometer that came with the incubator! I've read a lot of yalls advice so the next round I'll be more prepared & educated on what to do from beginning to end.
The thermometer that I got with mine---glass bulb stapled to a piece of marked plastic was so far off it was not even in this Galaxy---LOL. I would have fried them----really.

Did you candle the eggs on day 18?
Did you increase the moisture on day 18?

Just trying to help!

I did not candle them but I did increase moisture. Right now I can hear one with no problem but I do not see an external pip at all. So if I open it to get the dead one out it shouldn't hurt the others?

When can I candle cause my bator was off to a slow start I was wondering if I should candle them tonight day three. I do not want any bad eggs to kill the rest of my good eggs????

As long as they don't smell bad, there is no danger of explosion or contamination. I candle at 6 -7 days and have gotten pretty good at finding the duds, even it dark eggs from Welsummers and Marans, but any that are in doubt are left in the incubator. I remove the non-developing eggs to recover the space in the turner, otherwise I don't think I would bother.

I'm crazy nerves for some reason but this is my first time and i'm not getting much sleep cause i cant hep but sit and watch the eggs. i think im getting a little to nuts.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom