The Journey Begins!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Unsalted John, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Unsalted John

Unsalted John New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Michigan
    Hello BYC!

We got our chicks today! 2 Isa Browns and 2 Barred Rocks. Now that our city has come to it's senses we can finally legally have a small flock! The kids are already in love with them and we are looking forward to beginning our backyard chicken journey.

Thank you to all you people who contribute to this forum. This place is such a wealth of information. We look forward to contributing to it in the future. As always any suggestions on things we can do better are always appreciated.

Cheers!

-Unsalted John

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Unsalted John, and :welcome! Great to have you with us as you begin your poultry journey! Here are a couple links from the Learning Center (brown tab at the top of the page) that may help you out along the way:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens
    And: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks
    Finally, you can chat with fellow MI poultry folks in your state thread in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :celebrate

3. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens,

Congrats on your new flock. They are so cute at this age. Just a few days old and in no time they will be grown up and giving you fresh eggs for breakfast. Wait till you go out and get your first egg with the kids its something they will talk about for a long time. I am 58 and I still remember when my Aunt or Uncle would take me out to gather the eggs when I was little.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your new babies!! Aww...they sure are adorable. [​IMG]Make sure none of them get stuck on the other side of the feeder. At this age, they can get places and not get back. They may venture over there to cool off.

Good luck with your new babies and if you have any questions about them, feel free to ask. Welcome to our roost! :)

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi John, very nice to have you join us! Kids and chicks are a natural match, you're going to have a lot of fun watching them together.

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    [​IMG][​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined the flock! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could also put a real branch in the brooder, chicks like to explore and practice roosting skills. Once they practice flying they will need a wire cover over the top to keep them from falling/flying out.

9. Unsalted John

Unsalted John New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Michigan
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. We have made a few corrections to the brooder. We replaced the feeder with a smaller one more suited to 4 chicks so none of them will get stuck on one side. We got a proper 1 quart waterer in place, and I will soon be heading outside on a beautiful sunny day to find a suitable branch for them to practice roosting and give them some fun.! Cheers to all!

[​IMG]

10. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Looks good. Whos watching them more you or the kids? lol I know I am always peeking in to see mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by