The journey starts for the cracked egg

ourcozycoop

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
Our little bantam Linda is a very broody girl. Recently she has sat on a large pile of eggs and has claimed it as her own. In the past when we’ve let our hens raise their chicks we tend to loose acouple..so this time we decided to make a large brooder big enough for our Linda and many chicks. We plan to keep them all here until we reintroduce them to the flock. ANYWAYS. Yesterday while checking the eggs. I typically lay them on a flat service and give a quick look for movement (It has seemed to work for me Always) well I turn my back for one second and this 18-20 day old egg rolls right off the table and cracks on the barn floor. I immediately checked for wetness (never having dealt with this before) there was no wet area. I panicked and quickly put it back under her with the rest.

So today I go out and check, lure Linda off the nest and bam there it is with ALOT of membrane exposed. I don’t see any bleeding. I can see white feathers. There’s movement and chirping. She’s sitting gently and responding to the chirps. I have decided not to intervene..it is definitely hatching. It’s now been approx. 24 hours since the fall and crack...I can not see it’s beak.

My questions are

Do you think the exposed membrane is Linda assisting her chick in trauma mode? Like she’s picking away the shell?

Also, there has been Progress, there’s movement and chirping. When should I help out? I have not wet the membrane. Linda seems to be doing what she needs too but how long is too long?! When should I hatch this chick myself? And if required any tips?

It’s beyond sealing I’m afraid. When I say ALOT I mean majority. There are no visible blood vessels...

Why did you have eggs this close to hatching out of the nest?
Water under the bridge now, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I wasn’t sure if she was rolling them out or if they were rolling out when she was moving. She’s younge. She gets a wee excited when she’s arranging her eggs. So I wanted to double check. Clearly I’m not a veterans at this.

Anyhow...live and learn is the process I suppose. I have put something in the front of her nest to avoid unintentional roll outs.

I’m trying...

I wasn’t sure if she was rolling them out or if they were rolling out when she was moving. She’s younge. She gets a wee excited when she’s arranging her eggs. So I wanted to double check. Clearly I’m not a veterans at this.

Anyhow...live and learn is the process I suppose. I have put something in the front of her nest to avoid unintentional roll outs.

I’m trying...
Why did you have eggs this close to hatching out of the nest?
Water under the bridge now, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I also just ordered a candler to ensure I never put them on a table again if needing to check in the future...

Everyone learns a lesson SOMEHOW.
I’m sure no one was perfect when they first started this, as well. And guess what? I’m sure she can hatch you more eggs! Still hoping the chick will make it, but if not.. just remember, you will get better at this :)

Thank you very much! Unfortunately the wee thing didn’t make it How guilty do I feel!!
The rest have began to hatch now. We have three! One a wee Wobblies then the others. This morning it seemed stronger then last night. So I’m sure with a little more time it will be up and running around :) 3/4 so far and 5 more to

Egg shells are porous and any bacteria you may have on your hands can enter the egg.
Orientation of the egg, particularly in the first few days has an effect on the likely hood of successfully hatching a healthy chick.
In the last three days the orientation of the egg influences the hatching ability of the chick.
In short, leave the eggs alone and let the hen do the job.
My apologies if this is a bit blunt.

It is likely not to hatch, but with a small hole in the in the shell over the aircell may. (Hand slipped when candling. See, I'm not perfect, but I was also not the one holding the egg.)
I put tape over it, because I'm clumsy and the candle was was just making a mess.
Anyways, that one hatched, no assistance. ALL OF THE EASTER EGGERS HATCHED, and so there is a chance, it just gets smaller if the egg was cracked earlier in incubation. Or if the crack is larger.

Back
Top Bottom