The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Is there a way to sex ducklings (khaki's)? I have three, the female feet are not fully webbed and her bill is dark olive. The drakes (got 2) have webbing all the way to the toe end, and the beaks are light olive. I need more ladies. My wife will be heart broke if the males kill her. I will make a decision before that happens. Any help, if there is any would be great.

Is there a way to sex ducklings (khaki's)? I have three, the female feet are not fully webbed and her bill is dark olive. The drakes (got 2) have webbing all the way to the toe end, and the beaks are light olive. I need more ladies. My wife will be heart broke if the males kill her. I will make a decision before that happens. Any help, if there is any would be great.
You could order day old sexed ducklings from a hatchery, but from what I know, after the first day or 2 it is impossible to vent sex them, and all the physical characteristics are just a guess, nothing that is certain with beak/foot color.

So I got 5 KC hens about 5 weeks ago and they're all starting to quack, except one who its still rather squeaky in the noises she makes. She's the one on the right with the lighter bill in the photo. That caramel bill also has me concerned the test are still dark greyish. What do you guys think, is it possible that she is actually a he? Or am I just being paranoid?
definately COULD be a male, but it could also be a little girl slow to learn how to quack. only time will tell.

thanks KJ, My buddy is going to get me a couple more from rural king, seems they have this stuff into the year. Will just have to take a chance on getting more females. If they are drakes then I will give them away. I don't like duck meat. But the eggs are great.

I know this is a very old post but maybe you will still answer! Just wondering how your one drake is towards two females. I currently have two males (I found a home for one of the males) and was wondering if it would be safe for me to keep one male with one female. ( or if I got two females if he would be aggressive towards both). Any feedback would help, thank you!

I am in the same mess, I have 2 drakes, 1 female. (not of breeding age yet) I got 2 more ducklings. If size is the same as first 3, I have another drake and female. I let my wife have these and they are a hoot to watch. I have read, that drakes will try to breed even chickens. Time will tell, if things get out of hand for the females, she has a decision to make. I would prefer a 3 or 4 female to 1 drake myself. Again this is what I read. They don't pair up like geese, and a lot of other animals, including hawks and eagles.
If need be I will try again next spring and go from there. It's not fair to separate them since they do everything as one, it's like watching little soldiers. Not to mention the extra space and maintenance. I will let her decide and give her my input, She will be heart broke, but that's part of doing this. She said "I will help you with everything to do with the rabbits and quail", I said we will see. Sure enough, she can't butcher. Cried, but stayed out there. Now I have an extra butchers apron. I told her it was fine, and I expected that already.

I know this is a very old post but maybe you will still answer! Just wondering how your one drake is towards two females. I currently have two males (I found a home for one of the males) and was wondering if it would be safe for me to keep one male with one female. ( or if I got two females if he would be aggressive towards both). Any feedback would help, thank you!

I have one drake and 3 ducks and they get along just fine. I did have 3 and 3, but two of the drakes were becoming alphas and starting to pick on the girls so I rehomed the two alpha drakes. I just saw a video of them playing in their big new pond so I know they're happy and hopefully things have calmed down with their hormones. I have one duck who is the same age as the drake that I kept and she is not showing signs of over breeding or anything. I hope this made sense and helped!

I have read, that drakes will try to breed even chickens. Time will tell, if things get out of hand for the females, she has a decision to make. I would prefer a 3 or 4 female to 1 drake myself. Again this is what I read. They don't pair up like geese, and a lot of other animals, including hawks and eagles.
If need be I will try again next spring and go from there. It's not fair to separate them since they do everything as one, it's like watching little soldiers. Not to mention the extra space and maintenance. I will let her decide and give her my input, She will be heart broke, but that's part of doing this. She said "I will help you with everything to do with the rabbits and quail", I said we will see. Sure enough, she can't butcher. Cried, but stayed out there. Now I have an extra butchers apron. I told her it was fine, and I expected that already.

My ducks live with my chickens and I have not seen my rooster or my drake try to cross-breed. That's kinda funny actually XD I had to make the tough decision to let my two babies go as the 3 drakes and oldest female were my first ducks, but I knew it wouldn't be fair to keep them together and they did find a great home! There is hope! :D

Last edited:
Today was the first breeding feasko I have seen from Larry, Moe, and Curly Sue. Lets say they are in the learning stages. Clumsy critters at this for sure. I couldn't help but laugh as Moe went beak first to the dirt. Larry worked out his balance but that was it. Curly was patient with them then decided a swim was needed. Class was over for the day.
They also hear the 2 ducklings that are isolated from everything else in a large area. The babes are eating, drinking and swimming just fine. I still think we have 1 drake (A LOT LARGER) and one hen. This proved true with the first 3. I thought we had a runt. Nope, that was Curly Sue.

Back
Top Bottom