The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Taylor, Feb 28, 2010.

1. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Songster

Feb 3, 2015
    Southeast Michigan
    What can you do? :idunno Tell her to stop laying so much? I'll go read up on Privitt hatchery. Thanks!

2. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    wow. know I feel so dumb:barnie:lau

3. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Songster

Feb 3, 2015
    Southeast Michigan
    Has anyone out there ever hatched a female duck (she's young, but quacking) that grows a drake feather? I've got one now and I'm confused.

It looks like I'm going to have to go ahead and buy some ducks if I want to keep campbelling because everything I hatch this year is turning out male, extra small and stunted, or weird. Lots of males. My breeders aren't related though, is the catch. The female I'm trying to hatch from is just 5+ years old. Now we're far enough in the laying season that her eggs have become porus again, and they do not develop even under broodies of various species. I wonder if we'll get any viable eggs out of her next spring and I'll try again...She's a very nice, friendly campbell that laid a whole lot. I'd love to save some progeny if she can give me some normal ladies.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

No no female duck with a drake feather but I do have an EE hen who crows.

rachelsflock likes this.
  5. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Songster

Feb 3, 2015
    Southeast Michigan
    Sheesh, over achievers! I think I might have to either wait and see or vent sex her and see what I find. I vented her as a day old duckling and sexed her female and the other 3 ducks male, but you know, everything's female when you're inexperienced. The feather is even more prominent today, but she's still definitely QUACK, QUACK, QUACKING (LOUDLY at times, as young ducks do) and not peeping or quaaaaaacking.

6. Miss Lydia

Have you posted a picture of her? Maybe she just got her feathers bent. lol

I have heard of hormonal changes in older hens causing them to get the drake feather and chickens hens crowing but this is too young for hormonal changes.

7. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Songster

Feb 3, 2015
    Southeast Michigan
    If you're up for chasing her around with me here's a video from this morning. If this isn't clear enough tonight I can scoop her up and have her give a concert in the porch light.

8. Miss Lydia

If that's the one quacking sure sounds like a girl might have to wait till their next molt and see what she looks like.

9. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Songster

Feb 3, 2015
    Southeast Michigan
    Since that's easier than venting a juvie duck, I think that will be just what I do. She was one of the ducks quacking for part of the time. The video's not super clear, but barring picking her up (my khakis consider that an assault) that's what I've got at the moment.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Keep us updated this I very interesting. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: