The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Taylor, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Cassie Collins

Cassie Collins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks :). Mine just love Kale & peas & strawberries, chopped grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew melon. They r little pigs, lol!!

1 person likes this.
  2. JFreeman

JFreeman Chillin' With My Peeps

I am leaning towards Jumbo. Pekins are a breed that reaches mature growth by about 7/8 weeks for quicker slaughter, where after 7/8 weeks, their growth slows. I also have a Jumbo I named Donald that is very large compared to my other ducks (3 KCs, a White Crested, and a Bali/Runner cross).

3. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Jumbo or not they are certainly best friends! He keeps my KC warm!

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Just recently got my first KC and have ordered 6 more. Would like to see if I can use them for a laying flock alongside my layers and see which are the most proficient for eggs, meat and cost savings. LOVE the looks of the duckling and the adult ducks and love what I hear about them.

I've heard conflicting reports and just wanted to get some opinions from you all....do they lay as well as all the sites say they do? Up to 320 eggs per year? It seems pretty high.

Also...water. Do they need it for bathing, swimming, etc.? The Metzer site said they didn't need to have a body of water for good health but wanted to hear of any problems related to that from you all. Mine will have a water place but it won't be very large or deep like a pond or creek would be.

Metzers says they don't brood their own eggs very often but was wondering if any of you have experienced otherwise?

How predator wary do they seem to be out on range? Good survival instincts?

Thanks for any help you can give me! Just trying this breed out and it's been since the 70s since I had ducks, so I'm a tad rusty. [​IMG]

5. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    I have read Khaki's will lay that many eggs under ideal conditions but I have to assume that to include artificial light in the winter. I don't do any artificial light as they need the break from laying and will live longer if not forced to lay in winter. My girls laid 220 eggs apiece last year.

I am fortunate enough to have a spring-fed pond that never freezes over and they love it. I can't answer regarding raising ducks with just drinking water and a wading pool but lots of folks do it.

I had one duck go broody last year but I had to take the eggs away as it was in October when I found the nest. I have read they generally do not make good mothers but now and then some appear to do so.

Mine seem to be quite wary and will begin quacking loudly and are on guard when a strange animal is near. As far a survival instincts, they really can't outrun or fly from predators and are always vulnerable. I have actually seen my drake scold a neighbor's barn cat and send it off. I must say though that when they are foraging in the spring run they at times seem oblivious as to what is going on around them.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've got a good predator defense system but I was afraid of that...that they would get to foraging and not really look around them. I hope they don't range out too far into the woods in that way. I've not lost anyone to preds here and I never close the coop, but ducks are always the first to get snatched in a combination flock, so it's something for which I'll be watching.

I don't light them up either.

Thank you for the good info! [​IMG]

7. Prinette

Prinette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    Hey guys! I've got a question about Khaki Campbells and I figured this would be the best place to ask it. I recently got some KCs (two weeks old tomorrow!) Two of them are the normal solid brown color but our more skittish duckling has a little white bib around the neck. I've seen pictures of KC's like that before but I wasn't sure if it said something about the genetics or if it was normal and would go away when she (crossing my fingers for a she) feathers. I would appreciate any help with this!

8. Cassie Collins

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    I don't have 1 (I want 1 though), but I hear Muscovy r the best for meat & great for brooding. Not sure about laying. There is a Muscovy forum n BYC. Magpie & KC r great layers, but r light breed ducks. A lot of folks seem to have just baby pools for a water source. KC r skittish & mine is very fast. I wld like to think it wld keep her safer from predators, but I don't know. Mine r only pets, so they don't really free range. I hope this helps some. I'm sure u will get more info. Folks here on BYC r very nice, informative & helpful. I do appreciate them :).

9. Cassie Collins

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    Have u sen pics of Swedish? Cld it b a Swedish?

10. Cassie Collins

Apr 12, 2014
    Texas
    Good point Carcajou on the foraging! My KC female is a little hog & when she is distracted by food, I can catch her quicker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by