The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

I've found that the plastic netting/fencing "garden fencing" works to keep my in the pen I made for them out of that. One duck can fly over it, but the rest don't seem too. I'm sure you can get different heights. Mine's about 3.5 feet. The stuff's cheap. I got it on sale at Home Depot for $7 a roll (25 ft roll I think). Then I bought long stakes (also home depot) and just staple gunned the fencing to the stakes. 

Sounds similar to my set up. Great price for your fencing! I had to pay 22 euros and that was on sale for the green plastic fencing which is 1.2m high (sorry metric over here!!) And I got some netting which gardeneres use to protect their fruit trees etc just to put over the top case there are any hawks around when I'm not looking.

I take them for strolls round the garden and sometimes they get so busy foraging they don't notice when I've walked back to the house. You should see them when they do! They can run so fast, it's hilarious :gig

I'll have to get more photos this weekend. They are about 11 weeks old and the only difference at the moment is one has a slate grey beak and the other has an olive coloured one. So if one is a boy, I will have to get more girls and rethink the housing situation!! Trouble is I would love them from babies again and then I could go on and on trying to sort the male/ female ratio. Unless they had ducklings together, that would amazing too. I am new at all this, so that would be a learning curve!

Safe to call her a girl. ..yes

Oh phew! I've been waiting anxiously...she and the Blue Swedish came from a straight run bin...I made an attempt to vent sex them (they were less than a week old) and didn't pick any ones that were obvious males to hope for the best. She is quieter than the Blue Swedish and my Pekin so I couldn't go by quacks.

I am new to the Duck raising, but about 3 months ago I decided to get some ducklings to raise for future egg production. Well I picked two Khaki Campbells from the selection at our local Tractor supply, with my best guess at which may be male or female. Then 3 weeks later I picked up a couple runner ducklings same place same manner. Now they all seem to be growing curly tail feathers and I am very concerned that I have a flock of males and no females. So here is a video of all four (if I can get it uploaded if not I'll post pictures). I still want a couple of females for egg production, so if anyone knows of a good place to get ducklings that are sexed in NC I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I am new to the Duck raising, but about 3 months ago I decided to get some ducklings to raise for future egg production. Well I picked two Khaki Campbells from the selection at our local Tractor supply, with my best guess at which may be male or female. Then 3 weeks later I picked up a couple runner ducklings same place same manner. Now they all seem to be growing curly tail feathers and I am very concerned that I have a flock of males and no females. So here is a video of all four (if I can get it uploaded if not I'll post pictures). I still want a couple of females for egg production, so if anyone knows of a good place to get ducklings that are sexed in NC I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
The two Khaki Campbell ducks are definitely drakes (males) the Runners also look to be males but I am not as sure about them. Khaki females would not have the coloration that yours have. The would be a solid khaki brown color. If you get females and already have the 4 males your are going to need at least 2 and preferably 4 females per male or you will most likely have some issue with fighting among the males.One to one (males and females) probably would not work either since you would have males competing for possession of their harem. If all you want is duck eggs you might find a breeder thatr will trade females for your males. Ducks, like chickens, don't need males to lay eggs...just to fertilize them. And duck sex is not a pretty sight. Male ducks are one of the few birds that that actually have a penis and duck sex is comperable to rape.

I still want a couple of females for egg production, so if anyone knows of a good place to get ducklings that are sexed in NC I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I, too, live in NC and would like to get a few female KCs, so would be interested in this info. . .

I'm new to this entire K/C duck fun but I would love to own more of them. Anyhow back to what you were saying about the different colors/shades of the K/C. I bought my first two K/C a few eeks prior to Easter then ended up buying two more a few weeks later only knowing that they were supposed to be K/C and they all looked the same light color brown when i got them which at that time they had only been a few days old. I wasn't sure what I had the first time as far as sex goes and the 2nd time I had learned how to sex them but anyhow now that they are approx 3mo. old for the first two and 10wks old for the 2nd. The drake from my first batch is really light colored now but with a dark green neck and head and both of my ducks are darker with lighter brfown colored feathers mixed in. They're beautiful birds but can def tell the difference in sex due to their quacking and coloring but the feet and bills doesn't help determine the sex really at all in my opinion. Hope this helps!

I'm new to this entire K/C duck fun but I would love to own more of them. Anyhow back to what you were saying about the different colors/shades of the K/C. I bought my first two K/C a few eeks prior to Easter then ended up buying two more a few weeks later only knowing that they were supposed to be K/C and they all looked the same light color brown when i got them which at that time they had only been a few days old. I wasn't sure what I had the first time as far as sex goes and the 2nd time I had learned how to sex them but anyhow now that they are approx 3mo. old for the first two and 10wks old for the 2nd. The drake from my first batch is really light colored now but with a dark green neck and head and both of my ducks are darker with lighter brfown colored feathers mixed in. They're beautiful birds but can def tell the difference in sex due to their quacking and coloring but the feet and bills doesn't help determine the sex really at all in my opinion. Hope this helps!
I think that does help me actually, everything about them both screams female except for the bill colour. I tried taking more pics this morning - not too brilliant though!

On the second photo it is the one at the top left I suspect being male and on the last photo it is the one on the right. The light on the pic makes the other one look a little dark around the head but she isn't in the flesh. They both seem to quack the same too and they are about 11 weeks old.

They keep going for my labrador, but I tell them off. In fact Rosemary (the definite female) was trying to go for me whilst I was sitting near them, so I grabbed her and cuddled her for a few minutes, which she seemed to enjoy and it seems to have done the trick. The other I have named Parsley
love.gif

In fact Rosemary is the one on the first photo and the one on the right on the second and she is on the left in the last
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom