The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

I have some egg eaters so I made them a roll out nesting box to put in the coop. It's a front roll out with a flap separating the hens and the eggs. Well my KC freaked out when her egg rolled away from her, she startic to panic shoved her head through the flap, ripping off the flap and got her egg out of the little collection box and rolled it out of the nesting box, breaking it in the process....So any ideas how to make her more comfortable with this? I may have to make one that the egg collects outside of the coop for her.

This is what I made except it is only one nesting box, I only have 9 hens all together who lay, No matter how many I have they insist on laying in one. 6 chickens and 3 ducks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/703571/my-roll-out-nest-boxes-pic-heavy

well, we did have one in the run one day. that was the day after we had no eggs the day before, and got 2 that day. the two are the same age, and look identical, so I'm sure they're both female, plus they both have a clear quack :) I've looked around, but I'll look again!

We just starting raising Khaki Campbells in April 2014. We had 3 drakes and only 1 hen so we gave 2 drakes away to a farm who had other ducks and chickens. Our Hen started laying 2 weeks ago and gives us a nice egg almost every day. Our ducks will eat out of our hands but I cannot hold them. They come when they are called and go into their pen at night. I hope to get another female in the spring so that I can hold her every day so she gets used to being held. I just saw a photo of a crested Khaki Campbell hen..I loved the way she looked with that PUFF on her head. I would maybe like to see if I could find one in my area. Here is a photo of our 2 Khaki Campbells...They are RESSA and CARLISLE (My husband's grandparents' names)

names) !!!

my lil Susie laid her 1st egg! Totally stoked now all I can think is now what!? Lol I'm still a newbie I suppose. Dang! Lol oh well can't rain on my parade today my girl laid an egg!!!!

Hi duck fans!
I'm a bit stuck. I've had my khakis for 3 months (about 5 weeks when I first got them).
Now their bills are changing colour but not in a uniform way. They were the results if khaki Campbell's crossed with apricot calls initially but never showed any call duck markings.
Does anyone think the mottling is due to a problem or us it just changing as the ducks are maturing!?
I've been using growers pellets but just changed to layers. Could that be anything to do with it?
Thanks!

Hello all. I have a question if you don't mind. I have three hen ducks and two drakes, a Peking hen and a pair of Cayuga's and a pair of Magpie's. They lay pretty good but I have a huge demand for my duck eggs, in your experience is the Campbell the bird I'm looking for or is there a better breed. I need about fifteen dozen per week just to satisfy customers who are willing to wait for their eggs, I would really like to solve that problem as quick as mother nature will allow.

Last edited:
Hello all. I have a question if you don't mind. I have three hen ducks and two drakes, a Peking hen and a pair of Cayuga's and a pair of Magpie's. They lay pretty good but I have a huge demand for my duck eggs, in your experience is the Campbell the bird I'm looking for or is there a better breed. I need about fifteen dozen per week just to satisfy customers who are willing to wait for their eggs, I would really like to solve that problem as quick as mother nature will allow.
I don't know for sure but the Khaki Campbell is a breed that was specifically developed for it's egg laying abilities. I have two Khaki females that reliably give me an egg a day each. I just wish I had your problem of too much demand for duck eggs. Except for an occasional bake order I end up having to give my duck eggs away to a local charity. You say duck egg in West Texas and I can't begin to tell you the looks you get.

I don't know for sure but the Khaki Campbell is a breed that was specifically developed for it's egg laying abilities. I have two Khaki females that reliably give me an egg a day each. I just wish I had your problem of too much demand for duck eggs. Except for an occasional bake order I end up having to give my duck eggs away to a local charity. You say duck egg in West Texas and I can't begin to tell you the looks you get.

Wow really? I gave away a few with the chicken eggs people were buying, everyone went nuts over them, now they accept the chicken eggs but keep VERY close track of their turn for the duck eggs. I am getting $8 per dozenfor the duck eggs.

Back
Top Bottom