The kiddy pool area is getting gunky.....

runbikegrrl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Last week when I first posted I had aquired two ducks, now I have been convinced to adopt the last two. I have a self filling and draining pool set up....however, with all the rain we have had....and the extra bills rooting around near the pool it is getting very muddy. I was thinking of throwing down some sand....is this a good idea or bad? Any other thoughts. They definitely love the pool.....they are very cute actually taking turns since they all can not fit in at once.

Last week when I first posted I had aquired two ducks, now I have been convinced to adopt the last two. I have a self filling and draining pool set up....however, with all the rain we have had....and the extra bills rooting around near the pool it is getting very muddy. I was thinking of throwing down some sand....is this a good idea or bad? Any other thoughts. They definitely love the pool.....they are very cute actually taking turns since they all can not fit in at once.
You know we'll have to have pics. I put down the landscaping material, the heavy duty kind and then added gravel. It was the only way I could keep them from making such a muddy mess. It's been down all summer and still looking good.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Good to know it works....I posted a picture of the pool set up on another thread. will post a new picture if I can get all 4 in the shot : )

These ducks had never been touched by human hands until I caught them and put them in the crate to bring them to my place. Two are small a Khaki Campbell and possibly a Welsh Harlequin. The other one is VERY large and completely white and the last one is also very large and lots of different colors.

The best part of bringing the ducks into the flock is that my three bossy hens ( especially the Dark Cornish) are so preoccupied by avoiding the ducks that they are no longer harrassing the younger pullets!

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Good to know it works....I posted a picture of the pool set up on another thread. will post a new picture if I can get all 4 in the shot : )

These ducks had never been touched by human hands until I caught them and put them in the crate to bring them to my place. Two are small a Khaki Campbell and possibly a Welsh Harlequin. The other one is VERY large and completely white and the last one is also very large and lots of different colors.

The best part of bringing the ducks into the flock is that my three bossy hens ( especially the Dark Cornish) are so preoccupied by avoiding the ducks that they are no longer harrassing the younger pullets
Well you got the pecking order worked out by bringing in the ducks. LOL Sounds like you got a Pekin in the bunch with the solid white one, I'd love to see pics when you get a moment. I have a few ducks from this years hatch that I haven't handled much, no need to unless theres a problem. But they will still come up to me for treats . Yours will warm up to you to. Most ducks don't like to be picked up and handled there are exceptions but it's usually those that we hatch. I have a drake from last year that We had to raise because his mama didn't want him, I can pick him up and snuggle with him but my others aren't that way at all. All the best with your ducks, sounds like they have a wonderful home.

have just read your post, it's a good ida with the membrain i have 3 call ducks and they love there pool and i have the same problem with a muddy pool,my ducks are only 4 months old now. i will do the rest of ther pool that way too and see if it will stop the pool from getting realy muddy.

have just read your post, it's a good ida with the membrain i have 3 call ducks and they love there pool and i have the same problem with a muddy pool,my ducks are only 4 months old now. i will do the rest of ther pool that way too and see if it will stop the pool from getting realy muddy.
They will still get their pool nasty because they carry stuff in their mouths to the pool to dunk their heads but with having the landscaping material and gravel down it really helps to keep them from digging up around their pool area. I don't have to dump the pool as often

I did the same thing as Miss Lydia except I used builders sand. The pools still gets gross from poop but stays clear longer than when there was dirt around. We bought a pickup load from our local sand and gravel pit. It cost $16 for over slightly over 3000 pounds.

You can see some of it in this picture. Our pool is dug in and they have to walk up a sandy hill to get in or use their steps that are on the lower side.

Back
Top Bottom