The Lair....Quilt Central...Woman Cave-New Projects in Progress!

Pieced a table topper today. Will do the backing tomorrow and start quilting, but folding up shop for the night. Ouch, my back!

DSCN4157.jpg

Thanks! The colors look sort of off in the picture. All are shades of green in there, though maybe the house lighting or task lighting made some of it look sort of a ghostly bluish color.

I like to take photos of the fabrics I select for quilts.
Sometimes it helps determine values better and a fabric that might wash out when placed next to other fabrics that are more vibrant.
It will also let you see if a fabric is going to draw too much attention.
It also helps to have with you when you are looking for another fabric. I sometimes pin swatches of fabric to the photo when I shop.

What this is is a run of dark green, medium green, light green and extra light green, repeated four times. To the eye, that's what it looks like. Digital cameras seems to add blue to everything at times.

ETA: I'm very out of practice, I noticed, but then, haven't pieced anything in about a year. The dark green is a bit too dark, but I think if I use a binding of that dark color, it will tone it down and make it seem less standout-ish. It's great to be back to being creative again!
smile.png

Took an extra 12" block from a quilt I made last year, added more to it and now, not sure what to do with it. I have the one I made yesterday pinned and ready to quilt, but I had to go through my messy scrap tub and sort of organize it into color families. I really need some smaller tubs just for color-sorting small scraps, I guess. How do you quilters handle your small scraps?

DSCN4161.jpg

I have a couple of three drawer plastic storage units with wheels for fabric. That's where I have pieces around the size of fat quarters or larger folded and sorted by color. They have clear drawers and from the side, it has a rainbow effect. My husband has told me he enjoys seeing all that colorful fabric in them, when he's in that room. He loves quilts.
big_smile.png

A few fabrics I keep separate from the others. I have the homespun, that's woven with dyed threads, in a separate section, as well as flannel. I do that because they have different physical qualities than standard quilt fabric, although sometimes I use them together.

I also have my cat and dog fabrics for themed quilts separate, as well as the coffee themed fabric I'm collecting for a scrap quilt for my husband. That's just so I don't have to go digging for them later.

For little bits, that I might use for applique or one of my other crafts, I just have them in a tub.

I love your view out the window.
love.gif

Congrats on QUILT CENTRAL.

All I see out the window of my sewing/spare bedroom is: the dog yard - no grass, the camper, and in the distance - the lights of the quarry. Next summer my garden will be between the dog fence and the camper - yeah, GREEN!

When we moved into the house, my DH helped me out by taking out the clothes rod in the closet and putting in shelves. It was really great unpacking all the fabric and arranging it neatly on the shelves. But after 3 years, all the fabric has melded together. The flannel shelf is 1/2 full of UFO's and batiks. The neato rainbow is gone and fabric has exploded everywhere. The neighbor has taken up quilting also and has become an enabler.

Now, you need to make a layout wall and you're all set.
(that's my next project)

Back
Top Bottom