The Last Ivory Bill Forest

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Magic Birdie, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Well, I guess this would go here since it's a story... I'll post the first chapter soon!

Oh, and the first chapter is a bit boring, but I promise it won't stay that way!

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    You're writing a story too?

Cool! Can't wait to read it!! [​IMG]

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Two stories! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Magic Birdie

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Chapter one

A female ivory billed woodpecker clung to the bark of a sweet gum tree next to her nest. With a kent , she called for her mate. A minute later, she heard a flutter of wings and saw what looked like a speeding arrow. Her mate landed next to her, and she sparred with him before taking off in that same arrow like flight of her mate to look for grubs.
    As the male woodpecker settled down on his eggs, he heard a kent and a double rapping on wood, signaling that his mate had found her dinner. He snuggled in closer to his precious eggs, closed his eyes, and went to sleep.
    Hours later, he awoke, turned his eggs, and closed his eyes again.
    Meanwhile, half a mile away in a dug out cavity in a maple tree, the female lord god bird settled down, and went to sleep, the white stripes and patches on her wing shining in the moonlight. She tucked her long, white beak in them.
    As the first glowing rays of sun shone down upon the swampy forest, the male ivory bill awoke, turned his eggs one last time, and flew into the forest in a sun-lit blaze, calling kent . They were the only pair in all of Cuba(they were Cuban ivory bills, at that time, the ones in the US may already be extinct), maybe even the whole world.
    Oblivious of this, the male king of woodpeckers raised his bright red crest and called kent , informing all the other ivory bills to stay away from his and his mates' territory. With that, hi flew to a tree and tapped and probed it for bugs. When the bark was stripped off, revealing a juicy white grub, he picked it up, and flew onto a branch on an old pine tree. There, he devoured the grub, and began to preen.
    Just beginning to wake up, the female "Peckerwood" as they were called by some people back then, heard her mates' call, and took off into the light with a flick of her wing. She sailed and fluttered through the thick forest and to her nest. An hour later she saw something move on the ground beneath her tree. She called kent as she flew out of her nest, and onto a nearby tree to hunt for grubs.
    Down below, a man crouched in the thick vegetation, looking at the bird and writing in what looked like a notebook. After a few minutes, the man squinted at the bird one last time, and stomped away, swatting at mosquitos and vines.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011
  5. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    [​IMG]

6. Magic Birdie

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    <3ChickenForever :

[​IMG]

thanks, I find it kind of boring, though...​

7. Magic Birdie

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    chapter two will come soon, I actually don't know when...

8. CaptivatingCarina

CaptivatingCarina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Very creative. Good job!! I want to know what happens next!

9. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:thanks, I find it kind of boring, though...

If you think that, make it interesting! (That is if you have an imaganation, I'm sure you do)

10. Magic Birdie

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:me too, I haven't even wrote it yet [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by