The last of my meat bird layers is eggbound - vet gave calcium - still no egg - suggestions please!

I called her this morning, they said she wasn't in yet, so I left a message for her to call me back. I hadn't heard back so I just called again. I was told she had been in appointments all morning and will return calls in 1/2 an hr. I will ask her if there is anything
else I can do. The receptionist said the drug you mentioned is for pain. I will ask her about it. Meanwhile, I bought some watermelon - which is Cindy's favorite fruit and another way to keep her hydrated. I put a pile of it in front of her and she is wiping it out!

I called her this morning, they said she wasn't in yet, so I left a message for her to call me back. I hadn't heard back so I just called again. I was told she had been in appointments all morning and will return calls in 1/2 an hr. I will ask her if there is anything
else I can do. The receptionist said the drug you mentioned is for pain. I will ask her about it. Meanwhile, I bought some watermelon - which is Cindy's favorite fruit and another way to keep her hydrated. I put a pile of it in front of her and she is wiping it out!
Meloxicam is for pain *and* swelling. I'm telling you, fluids are key, so please do ask her how much your hen should be drinking each day. Watermelon is fine, but there is no way you can get her properly hydrated with watermelon.

or arginine vasotocin, or application of a prostaglandin gel. These medications cause contraction of the reproductive tract and may result in the passing of the egg. They should not be used if an obstruction is present.
  • Continued access to food and water
A more severely affected bird must be treated for shock first, and then stabilized. After stabilization, additional treatment may include:
  • Administration of antibiotics and possibly short-acting corticosteroids
  • Manual removal of the egg by the veterinarian through applying gentle pressure with the fingers. This may require anesthesia.
  • Cleaning and repair of any prolapsed tissues
  • Ovocentesis, in which the contents of the retained egg can be removed by passing a needle into the egg visible at the cloaca or through the skin of the abdomen and into the egg (percutaneous ovocentesis) if the egg is not visible. This will make the egg smaller, and easier to pass.
  • Abdominal surgery if the egg reproductive tract is ruptured, the egg has developed outside of the reproductive tract (ectopic egg), or there is an obstruction
  • Follow-up care with antibiotics, fluids, appropriate environmental temperature and humidity, and nutritional supplementation

[PDF]
Evaluating and Treating the Reproductive System - Avian Medicine

avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/08/18_reproductive.pdf
The avian gonads arise from more than one embryonic source. ... Clinical Avian Medicine - Volume II ...... Diagnosis of egg binding or dystocia in a severely com-.
You've visited this page 3 times. Last visit: 10/10/16

-Kathy

Hello again - I apologize for the delay - I had to run errands. My vet called back and I told her of my concerns, about dehydration, if I should give more calcium, the anti-inflammatory, etc. Here is almost exactly what she said - "Your hen was not dehydrated when you brought her in - she was walking around and did not appear weak or have any symptoms associated with dehydration. By all means, give her fluids but I don't think dehydration was the issue. The egg inside her is perfectly formed with shell that looks perfect - it is up in her abdomen - not low in her. I gave her a calcium shot and gave you liquid calcium as a precaution. Keep giving it to her - you can give her tums with calcium and eggshell, as well. I feel she has a respiratory problem exacerbated by her weight which is making it hard for her to expel the egg. The most important thing right now is that you keep giving her the antibiotic. I am willing to give you meloxicam if you want it" So there you have it. I plan to call in the morning to get the anti-inflammatory for her. Any thoughts about what she said? I do appreciate all your help and insight.

Hello again - I apologize for the delay - I had to run errands. My vet called back and I told her of my concerns, about dehydration, if I should give more calcium, the anti-inflammatory, etc. Here is almost exactly what she said - "Your hen was not dehydrated when you brought her in - she was walking around and did not appear weak or have any symptoms associated with dehydration. By all means, give her fluids but I don't think dehydration was the issue. The egg inside her is perfectly formed with shell that looks perfect - it is up in her abdomen - not low in her. I gave her a calcium shot and gave you liquid calcium as a precaution. Keep giving it to her - you can give her tums with calcium and eggshell, as well. I feel she has a respiratory problem exacerbated by her weight which is making it hard for her to expel the egg. The most important thing right now is that you keep giving her the antibiotic. I am willing to give you meloxicam if you want it" So there you have it. I plan to call in the morning to get the anti-inflammatory for her. Any thoughts about what she said? I do appreciate all your help and insight.
@cocoloco , how is she?

From the tone of your vet I think your vet is annoyed that your are looking for help on the web, which is their normal reaction, and I don't blame them... I only offered the suggestions because it's what my vet has me do, and it's worked for me.

If she doesn't pass the egg on her own, what did the vet say to try next?

-Kathy

Last edited:
The vet was very nice - not upset about my suggestions and said she had no problem prescribing the pain killer. She basically said there is no hope if she does not pass the egg and that it is too high up for lubricant or massage to help. She said she she could not recommend surgery for her as she probably would not survive it due to her weight. She repeated that she feels there is a lot going on with her lungs. She was hoping the antibiotic would treat any infections and free the hen to lay. She then told me if she passed, they could do a necropsy to find out what was wrong.

The vet was very nice - not upset about my suggestions and said she had no problem prescribing the pain killer. She basically said there is no hope if she does not pass the egg and that it is too high up for lubricant or massage to help. She said she she could not recommend surgery for her as she probably would not survive it due to her weight. She repeated that she feels there is a lot going on with her lungs. She was hoping the antibiotic would treat any infections and free the hen to lay. She then told me if she passed, they could do a necropsy to find out what was wrong.
What antibiotic did they prescribe?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom