the lav silkie that had head trauma thread UPDATED ALL BETTER

I really hope you can keep him comfortable and that he improves. Perhaps it was a good thing for him to around the other silkies... maybe he needs that. Personally, I wouldn't be able to cull him either, not with a will to livelike he has. You will forever have a lap silkie with him...

My thoughts are with him...
love.gif

D

Quote:
He isn't a vet or a doctor, so cannot write prescriptions; the title "doctor" is simply an honorary becuase he has so much knowledge about chicken health.

You might try calling your state vet and see if they know someone who will see and prescribe for a chicken at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:
I swear although it is going very slow he is getrting better or at least improving. he is standing and eating. (feet stil out in front but at least not spralled outr like before)

I do need more predesone though I am running out and no one will re fill it for me as I hae exausted all the people I can call. Soi if anyone can get some and send it I would appreciate it greatly
smile.png

Quote:
Ohhh you know what - you have to take them off steroids slowly or you'll really do damage. wean him off slowly.

And honestly, long term steroids are not good either - particularly for birds - because they lower the immune system dreadfully. (WHich is part of why you don't take them off suddenly - they have no immune system backup.)

I just found some more in a bag lol the dr prescribes it all the time but my ds almost never needs it.

yes I was told about the tapering off. I will o that starting in a few more days as I think it is helping and want to continue for a few more days. I will try to boost him immune system with pro-biotic mash and stuff in the meantime
smile.png

he still is looking pretty good, roosting with out assistance at the moment
smile.png

Since prednisone is essentially an anti-inflammatory in action, have you considered adding other anti-inflammatory stuff to his treatment? Turmeric is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. There's a substance in pineapple, can't remember the name, but perhaps it could help. Natural alternatives to cortisones... Of course, vitamin E in high doses helps with inflammation (400-800 IU /day - only an oil form, please - preferably a natural, not synthetic E).

Quote:
Ohhh you know what - you have to take them off steroids slowly or you'll really do damage. wean him off slowly.

And honestly, long term steroids are not good either - particularly for birds - because they lower the immune system dreadfully. (WHich is part of why you don't take them off suddenly - they have no immune system backup.)

This is very true about the immune system. That dog I had that took them for allergy's. I had to take him off them for 2 weeks before and after his surgery. Which was just a neuter but they said he would't heal very well if I didn't. He healed there but his skin allergy flared up without them and still ended up with a skin infection. That cleared up in a few days after a good bath, peroxide on the affected areas and antibiotics for a week along with his predisone.

Are you giving him any antibiotics and or vitamins besides the vitamin E? And, do you sew? If so, i'll send you a pattern for a harness to hold him up so he can strenghen his legs. A little therapy you might say. If not, I do sew and will work on one for you if you would like to try it.

Back
Top Bottom