the lav silkie that had head trauma thread UPDATED ALL BETTER

I would love a sling or pattern, I have sme one else making one but it never hurts to have 2 incase one he does not like ect....

I will try turmeric as well and yes I am giving other vitamins but no antibiotics at this time. I have him on a high protein feed as well and he is indoors where it is walm and clean.

I know citrus is no good but is pineapple ok? I can try it....

Poor fella, You might want to read up on NEWCASTLES and MAREKS disease thou Im not sure if this breed is susceptable. We had a run of it many years ago when we had domoniques. Some breeds are more suseptable, Now all of our chicks are vaccinated for both right here day o hatch.

Hope this helps and I sure hope he recovers. A vet can take blood sample and let you know for sure what is going on from dietary imbalance to disease. It might be worth it to know for sure.

It is worth it to vaccinate all new chicks yourself or if you do not like the Idea there are vets who will do this for you. I actually took a class on subcutanous , interveinous and intermuscular years ago.These vaccines are subcutanous in new chicks along base of back of neck

Last edited:
This can be many different things from eating poisonous plants such as bracken fern to bacterial infection to viral disease to dietary imbalance . Do think about a vet visit , they really can tell you for sure.

Last edited:
I know a great deal about Mareks and it is not new castles. I appreciate the help but the problem is known and is being fixed slowly.

Hope he recovers quickly. Like I said, It could be any one of a number of things.from congenital to dietary.I went rhough Mareks, When I heard walking backwards , some of ours did that, but could be anything.

One day we went out and roosters comb was blue,and I mean BLUE. called vet, she came out while I was at work, I had him in a cage, she called me at work and said Im not sure what your talking about, his comb is normal, It was summer and pretty warm. so it was just one of those weird things. never happened again.

If he shows interest in eating and drinking , you might have a good chance, even if you have to help him for a while.

It would be odd if he has been inside all this time to develop mareks unless you got new birds anyway.

Last edited:
:weeeevery day more and more improvement. he has been standing more and able to get around with almost no fuss. he still does not walk much but is perky and pooing up a storm and stands upright on his roost. I am very pleased and am giving tumeric, vitamin E and the predisone still but will beging lowering his steroid starting Monday I think. Now I am only hoping that he figures out how to walk and that the damage to his ability to do so is not permenant.
I think soon I will put a younger chick in with him for company I just want to wait a it longer so that it is helpful and not hurtful.

Quote:
I know Silkies are very docile, so they may be totally different, but if it were me (I have cochins and even they are pretty laid back), I'd be kind of careful about that. I just have an uneasy feeling about it. More for the poor little youngster than for him. I'm just a little afraid that he may feel so vulnerable that without even asking questions he might strike out in defense. I may be WAY off base here. I hope so. You know him better than I do. Just be very careful those first few minutes.
hide.gif

OH HALLELAJAH!!!!
bow.gif

I was just thinking about you last evening and wondering how he was doing. Thank you so much for the update. Tell him I'm thinking of him and pulling for him.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom