The Legbar Thread!

That's why I stated he was a cull. He is too dark AND too colorful - no cream at all
sorry if I aggravated you. I see genetics as numbers, outcomes. plane science, sometimes I forget about the feelings put on to these birds by the owners. sorry
hugs.gif

Quote:

i don't love my birds as some do - I love the hobby and the challenge. I just found your statement a bit broad, a bit too negative and like a sweeping condemnation of my work thus far based on one image that I stated was faulty in color and tone. I am a working artist so I am used to negative critiques...plus I teach high school so my skin is pretty thick.

This is the same boy in the image - He is from my golden girl. All her boys tend to be too colorful and maybe too dark as chicks if that's what niclandia is saying but I may disagree a bit. I have not hatched out any cream chicks from her - some that are lighter gold but never cream - and I think my rooster supplied that gene. The question I have is about the secondary feathers showing in his wing bay - they are gold toned. My favorite male has very little gold in the wing bay

like this

Punnet states in his writings that any gold present here is a sign of gold in the genetics. So I am watching for gold in the secondary feathers as part of my cull process. What say you about this?

These are my 2 favorite boys - I had to adjust the blue tone in Photoshop as the snow threw the light off quite a bit. but see the secondary feathers in the wing bay - not as gold toned... is my reading of Punnet correct to look for gold here?

These are my 2 favorite boys - I had to adjust the blue tone in Photoshop as the snow threw the light off quite a bit. but see the secondary feathers in the wing bay - not as gold toned... is my reading of Punnet correct to look for gold here?

Thanks so much for sharing! You can tell you've done lots of work with them.

blackbirds13--

Thanks for your posts and insights, and research. I love what you are doing, the direction you are going....and your birds! For my part I find great value in your research, posting, planning and explaining. Even the questions you pose can get us thinking.

As I recall the female chicks that I had hatched, if they had a white headspot, had a tiny white headspot. the males had a large blotch. (one shaped like an arrow, one shaped like a heart on the first hatch babies...).and the ones that were put with the hen....not so closely examined I put them there as soon as they were dry. (By moving her I had messed up her setting, but since she had been setting she took the babies gladly.)

Like KPenley I had absolutely no problem telling males from females. It is so very obvious. (even to my newbie eye).

--- I also had two boys that were very silver. Only one is still here....and is growing up nicely -- but probably too colorful. Still a very striking bird...and his future owner wants him exactly for that reason...the color, and the flash.... so I guess that perhaps, re-homing unwanted roosters will be somewhat easy providing that they go to folks who don't want to be breeders etc. but rather want to have a very striking bird strutting around their place. He is constantly on guard again, like his father, and stands in the coop doorway to protect his hens. Nice disposition for the most part..

Last edited:
Yes. There is Gold. My understanding is that the "correct" genetics for CLs should be homozygous for gold ( s+/s+) and cream dilution (ig/ig). They shouldn't have any Silver (S).

BTW, this means that if you cross CLs with anything without cream, the gold should come through as undiluted gold. Thus, you can use your CL roos in gold (red) sex-link crosses. (For example, if you only have a small number of CL hens). In the UK some people have used Light-Sussex hens in this cross. I've been experimenting with CL x Delaware crosses. The sex-linking works fairly well, although the red/gold tinge can be fairly light. So far all 3 of the females I have hatched also had black head spots (not one, usually two), but with the small sample, I'm not if this will continue to hold (or if it might be a peculularity of my hen's genetics).

Although none of my CL x Del crosses are very old (and I've sold all the females), the females should grow out to be buff barred columbian birds with crests (assuming a roo homozygous for crest), and the males should look more-or-less like a Delaware with a crest (and greenish legs). Females should lay green eggs (brown+blue), and roosters should be hetrozygous for both brown and blue egg genes, so the egg color of their offspring would depend heavily on the egg color genetics of the hens they are bred with. Also my males seem to grow pretty quickly (so far). The first one that hatched I've started calling "monster."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom