The Legbar Thread!

Hi

I read a great deal on here of the good points bad points dark points and light points, find some of it interesting, informative and some of it blatant advertising by some professing to know huge amounts about this breed.

thumbsup.gif

I have kept Legbar for while now but never introduced myself until now due to being a noob before hand and now I have a little knowledge and experience in breeding them (AS A HOBBIST) I thought i'd say hi and maybe give my opinions and ideas to help my Fellow neighbour

the truth is that USA stock needs better Birds. refining a bird that was already refined cannot be re-refined if its gone wrong

it needs getting rid of and starting again

in UK there are some top quality breeders and Legbar are readily available so my stock I don't need to fix it or clean it or refine if its wrong I just get shot of it and start again

if USA breeders don't wish to do that then good luck to you I cant make you or force you.

Emily is not stupid she is an award winner and still she is so humble that on the phone today she said im not an expert when I spoke to her and said I believe your a Legbar expert
We can't wait until the Rees birds are available here!
You think EdeG did it like that, you take what you have and improve by breeding until you have something you are happy with OR do not call yourself a breeder. These lines are not going to mix easily you are inviting a $hit storm and put yourselves back to day 1.
I feel like we have just taken a huge step backwards with the Cream Legbars. Last year people in the U.S. were comparing their Cream Legbars with the top lines in the UK and wondering if their flock would ever match their quality. Then they started hatching and many around the country were presently supprised to see good things come out of the brooder. I am not sure why people are again saying we can't improove our stock. I didn't listen to them last year and I am not going to listen to them this year either.
Someone with some common sense

Please excuse my ignorance but I am new to this chicken lark, I have 2 5 week old cream crested legbars and i am just wondering what exactly you guys are calling a perfect example of a legbar?

How can you say this, you are telling them they need better birds and admitting you have a little knowledge. You didn't yet run out and buy your eggs because you saw a picture.

not so much how can I say that but so how can I be advised that and repeat what I been told (by the Cream Legbar Police as they are nicknamed)

well this is how

cream Legabrs are not extinct

they have not deviated from what they are supposed top be

so why are you trying to refine a breed that don't need refining

that is not breeding

breeding is to breed stock and make sure the offspring is like the parents and make sure genetics is not wrong and to cull deformities and in-corrections

but ultimately you need good parent lines to start with

----

I like reading this thread but don't post for this reason but had to make my point here clear

----

I was actually watching a program last night and it defined breeding to a T what breeding is supposed to be

It was about the Barbary Lion

now that's an animal that is extinct but rumours and belief is there is genes and decadence in the lion of today

so test are being done to extract that by breeding and culling and correcting its called project Barbary

although on hold due to fund issues that's what breeding is

Bringing back from Heritage what is lost not what we already have

All your doing is experimenting and most prob on the way you will get it but why when you don't need to

--

not mating a say for example a Snow Leopard with a normal Leopard and then getting the offspring and thing hold on this isn't right let us try to fix it by continually breeding it back till where satisfied

Please excuse my ignorance but I am new to this chicken lark, I have 2 5 week old cream crested legbars and i am just wondering what exactly you guys are calling a perfect example of a legbar?

If you fix the picture as type and apply the colour outlined in the standard you will not go far wrong. Compare images you see with this and judge for yourself, everyones eye is different.

CLB_onlinestandard_uk

Last edited:
why would a production Red be white at hatch?
well we are not all genetics experts like you nicalandia, And a production red would never come out all white sally, but since it is a cross you never know right. Maybe your just trying to throw a jab when the opportunity arises but he did say the CL was his only roo. That means a cross production red. I'm sure you had the same confusion when some of our CL came out all white (WHY WOULD THEY, WHY WOULD THEY). I'm working on a Cross that i believe will have white and colored chicks , sex linked. I need to hatch a bunch more to be certain. Anyway don't worry about it sally.

Last edited:
If you fix the picture as type and apply the colour outlined in the standard you will not go far wrong. Compare images you see with this and judge for yourself, everyones eye is different.

CLB_onlinestandard_uk
thanks for the link HaHaUthinkso. I like the long legs on this roo. the carriage says no suggestion of stiltiness would the legs on that roo be stiltiness or no.

Last edited:
thanks for the link HaHaUthinkso. I like the long legs on this roo. the carriage says no suggestion of stiltiness would the legs on that roo be stiltiness or no.

Not sure he is stilty,

Fact is the picture is an early standard one when they still had the P and P birds around to look at and the standard is todays.

I guess this is where Interpretation comes in to it

There is quite a marked difference in the type shown in pictures of the Legbar and the CLB in early images which may be a result of P and P combining their flocks ??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom