The Legbar Thread!

Possibly the different barring genes that have been discussed lately? Not sure, but she should be fine healthwise if that's what you are worried about.

ETA: Two Bit those little ones are darling! I can't imagine them that small though, even though I can see the bottle cap in the picture!

Last edited:
Thanks chickat! I'll post pics if my CLBs soon...my camera is on the fritz
Maybe this pic will add some perspective: D
I work for the USPS....I knew they were asking for a rate change...but not for chicks too! I definitely think a lot of carriers need more education on how to properly handle chicks and hatching eggs though...most carriers simply don't have any animal knowledge at all. A girl I work with was shocked to learn that hens lay eggs without a roo!
OH MY GOSH!!!!!! we are talking small here!!

Speaking of USPS, we have the greatest mail carrier. I believe though that some of the 'handling' is in sorting facilities, and it is conveyor belts--even if every human uses kid gloves to touch the packages, the automation can have a 3' drop -- so I have heard. Thanks for your work for the postal service. It's a difficult job that is sometimes thankless.

These are good insights from everyone. I'm thinking for live chicks there isn't a FedEx or a UPS alternative, there is only USPS. It's interesting to think of how much our costs would go up if the post office was privatized. ouch. (I always compare the cost of sending something to the cost of delivering it in person by flying to the location -- and think that the PO is a great bargain, and saves travel time for me!)

I have 2 cream legbars that are 5 weeks old I think now, over the last couple of days one has started going alot darker than the other, any ideas?

I noticed the same thing at about 3-4 weeks on in the two sisters below. The dark one grew into the one in the back, and the light one, the one in front. Punnett noted a light and dark division in both the gold and cream offspring in his Cream Ground Brown Legbar project described in the "Cream Plumage" publication in the Journal of Genetics. A Buff Leghorn was used at the beginning of the project and he said that he thought that we may have been something in the buff Leghorn line that has not been discovered that caused the difference. I am sure someone can explain the difference in plumage color, but I haven't delved into that area yet.

Last edited:
what i noticed in the punnet journals was when he breed the cream legbar to other breeds he got a certain amount cream and a certain amount gold on the first generation. Why was he getting cream and gold on the first generations of his cross breeding. I thought the way the cream worked it would have been on the second generations. Did i read them wrong? Maybe i should have read them again before i posted this. But i was pretty sure i remember it that way.

I noticed the same thing at about 3-4 weeks on in the two sisters below. The dark one grew into the one in the back, and the light one, the one in front. Punnett noted a light and dark division in both the gold and cream offspring in his Cream Ground Brown Legbar project described in the "Cream Plumage" publication in the Journal of Genetics. A Buff Leghorn was used at the beginning of the project and he said that he thought that we may have been something in the buff Leghorn line that has not been discovered that caused the difference. I am sure someone can explain the difference in plumage color, but I haven't delved into that area yet. mine are sisters too, I was just checking that it didn't mean one was a roo lol

I noticed the same thing at about 3-4 weeks on in the two sisters below. The dark one grew into the one in the back, and the light one, the one in front. Punnett noted a light and dark division in both the gold and cream offspring in his Cream Ground Brown Legbar project described in the "Cream Plumage" publication in the Journal of Genetics. A Buff Leghorn was used at the beginning of the project and he said that he thought that we may have been something in the buff Leghorn line that has not been discovered that caused the difference. I am sure someone can explain the difference in plumage color, but I haven't delved into that area yet.

Buff Leghorns have their very own Pheomelanin Diluter called Di for Dilute, its a Dominant gene I am trying to Isolate right now from my Buff Cochin line,

I have read the paper, while Punnett Crossed the parent stock of the Cream Creasted Legbar to Buff Leghorns, he did not bred this F1 or F2 crosses back to CCL stock so no, there is No Buff leghorn blood in current CCL stock..

the birds crossed to Buff leghorn were not and could not be called Cream Created Legbar by todays standards, they were just project birds and some of them may have made their way to the CCL parent stock, but nothing on Dr. Punnett's paper indicate the Chilean cross x Buff leghorn cross birds made it to the CCL parent stock.

here is pic of the link and the link

source: http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/48/327.pdf

Edit. thanks for the pics, I believe the difference we see on the hens is the different Barring gene at work

Last edited:
I have no idea who punett is or what your on about lol, im in the UK and am fairly new to chickens, I just liked the look of these cream crested legbars that someone was selling, so I got them

I have no idea who punett is or what your on about lol, im in the UK and am fairly new to chickens, I just liked the look of these cream crested legbars that someone was selling, so I got them
Quote worthy...
lau.gif

Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude, im just saying from my point of view, I just liked the look of them so got them, I subscribed to this thread because I thought I might learn something about the breed that would help me, I don't want to show them, im not bothered if there not perfect, I just love them

Back
Top Bottom