The Legbar Thread!

My 2013 Cream Legbar hatches have 55% pullet from my own hatches alone and including the feed back I have got from other who hatch from eggs from our flock they have produced 58% pullet.

My flock has been strong producing high fertility and good hatch rates. I have seen others comment about lower fertility or hatch rates though, so it is possible the close breeding of related stock is showing.

Last year I hatched 100% dark chicks. Many of the pullets turned out with good color, but all the cockerels were too colorful. This year I am seeing a lot of light colored down. I am growing them out to see how they compare to what I saw last year. All of the tips I have got from the wonderful folks in the UK is that the lighter down chicks are what produce their best adult plumage.

Please could you guys help with sexing these 3 white CL chicks?
one has much darker face markings and a more definite V.
They all have atripes on their backs though the one with the darker markings are more brown, and the other 2 lighter
Thanks!

I was really trying to see 2 girls and a boy, but I have to agree with the others. The one on the Left looks like your girl. The 2 on the right have blurred coloring on their head with a white dot and the lighter down.

Changing egg color. I recently changed from Non GMO locally produced Mash to locally produced Organic pellets and then am trying Nutrena Layer pellets. I am seeing a dramatic change in egg color! I went from some eggs being more green in color to all eggs being blue but one of my pullets eggs is so pale they look white. I have no idea which ingredient is responsible for the color change. The Mash was soy free and corn free but had fish oil and the other 2 are vegetarian based. They prefer the Nutrena over the Organic Pellets. I also plan to try Purina Layena.

I have heard that the eggs get paler later into the season. Have any of you noticed a color change with feed changes.

The reason I changed feed is because feed was costing an arm and a leg and there was a lot wasted of the mash.

My 2013 Cream Legbar hatches have 55% pullet from my own hatches alone and including the feed back I have got from other who hatch from eggs from our flock they have produced 58% pullet.

My flock has been strong producing high fertility and good hatch rates. I have seen others comment about lower fertility or hatch rates though, so it is possible the close breeding of related stock is showing.

Last year I hatched 100% dark chicks. Many of the pullets turned out with good color, but all the cockerels were too colorful. This year I am seeing a lot of light colored down. I am growing them out to see how they compare to what I saw last year. All of the tips I have got from the wonderful folks in the UK is that the lighter down chicks are what produce their best adult plumage.
Thanks! and does it matter if the male chick is grey or brown?

Changing egg color. I recently changed from Non GMO locally produced Mash to locally produced Organic pellets and then am trying Nutrena Layer pellets. I am seeing a dramatic change in egg color! I went from some eggs being more green in color to all eggs being blue but one of my pullets eggs is so pale they look white. I have no idea which ingredient is responsible for the color change. The Mash was soy free and corn free but had fish oil and the other 2 are vegetarian based. They prefer the Nutrena over the Organic Pellets. I also plan to try Purina Layena.

I have heard that the eggs get paler later into the season. Have any of you noticed a color change with feed changes.

The reason I changed feed is because feed was costing an arm and a leg and there was a lot wasted of the mash.
FASCINATING!! -- I'm guessing that there is more carotenoids in the feed that makes the eggs bluer.....I'm really, really glad that you posted this. -- wow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenoid

I also wonder if you have seen a slight increase in egg production. Of course there are many other variables that can contribute to that, longer daylight, your flock is a few weeks older etc.

Mine have changed color even with the same feed. But i did start using a different feed awhile back and the change in color was more pronounced. Some days they are blue and some days they have some green tint, some days they are pale. Its usually 4 or 5 eggs of the same color then i will get some bright blues. or 4 or 5 days of same color and get some pales. Its random.

I Switched to Ranch Way feed. IVe been impressed with it.

Back
Top Bottom