The Legbar Thread!

Yep, CLB's are easy to hatch too. We have being seen hatch rates around 75%. (one as low as 48% and a few that were over 95%)

It sounds like your humidity is too high. Do you monitor the weight loss of the eggs or mark the recession of the air sac? I maintain humidity around 40% for cream Legbars until about a day before the hatching. Some people in central Texas say it is too humid here to use any water trays and dry incubate until the weight loss or air sac progression is too great. They say they rarely have to add water during the first 18 days following this plan and they don't get any gooey chicks that way.
I must me cursed....I have some silkies in LD right now. Will watch the humidity to see how it goes. To be honest...I had great hatches when I use to dry hatch. I have even had eggs hatch in the turner that I overlooked when I transferred to LD. I may be making it too complicated. I guess what bugs me is after hatching for 3 years this is the first time I have ever had problems!
Yes..on the eggtopsy the chicks where gooey too.

I must me cursed....I have some silkies in LD right now. Will watch the humidity to see how it goes. To be honest...I had great hatches when I use to dry hatch. I have even had eggs hatch in the turner that I overlooked when I transferred to LD. I may be making it too complicated. I guess what bugs me is after hatching for 3 years this is the first time I have ever had problems!
Yes..on the eggtopsy the chicks where gooey too.

my ¨Recessive white¨ Legbar look a like chick...

I sold some eggs from my original chickens and offspring from Jordan farm. She got a sport white cockerel. That means, one of the original hens passed it to her offspring and my current rooster must be a carrier too. I have a sport white from Rinda's eggs but he is only 6 weeks old. I might be seeing a lot more white chicks in the future.

And she got 6 cockerels and 2 pullets from 15 eggs. The eggs that hatched were 3 days old or less when she set them. Lots of roosters this year.

For everyone with male heavy hatches, was the parent rooster or hen older? Curtis' theory that *breeding a younger cockeral/roo to and older hen produces more females* has worked for me so far. So I'm curious!

Mine was younger cockerel to older hens and same age pullets- and I am having an average of 75% male hatches for the last 2-3 months!!!!

Wow, well there's one experience against the theory. Have you tried lowering your incubator temp a degree? I mean, since you're not raising the boys anyway...

Back
Top Bottom