The Legbar Thread!

Actually, I'm headed to Jordan Farms next week to get some females. Perhaps it was all meant to be. These boys are creasted, Jordan's not. I will be able to claim genetic diversity if I breed these rascals.

OK. Just be aware since you are picking up roughly day-olds that of the hatching eggs I got through Jordan Farms both girls that hatched have gold hackles. You won't know that until they grow up.

About the same age chicks from Jordan. And thank you starlingdaly. You make a lot of sense!:)

No worries! :)
I count it a blessing if I get a hatch that favors one gender when starting breeding stock. I like to have at least two different sources of genetics anyway so it makes it easier for me to pick through them. :)

Cream Legbars are supposed to be CREAM based. The gene we are calling Cream is recessive- it takes two copies to be expressed. If a bird is lacking one or both cream genes they will have gold hackles instead of cream. Don't have a picture handy to show you... but you can see some here. All is not lost if you have a few gold based birds, in a few generations you can get back to double cream genes if you breed and cull selectively, but there are enough other issues with the US stock that if you can dodge that bullet I say dodge it! I do not know the specific parentage of my Jordan Farms pullets, so until I do some test mating, hatching, and growing out, I don't know if they even carry one cream gene.

All Cream Legbars are supposed to be crested- it is in the British standard and the proposed US standard. It is another thing that is not particularly difficult to breed (and the cresting gene is dominant so it's easier to fix than Cream), again if you can start with crested stock to begin with that is one less trait to have to breed towards right away. It is much more common to have pullets with large crests and cockerels with small crests because the standards call for a straight comb in the males, and the skull deformity that creates big crests tends to make the combs wavy and wonky.

My results are in and all my birds ... well the dozen I have left are negative for MG and MS!!!!
wee.gif

The worst two months of my chicken life are over!!! and I can say with all certainty to any buyer that my flock is healthy. I am so happy I cannot hold it in and went screaming through the house.

I lost a lot of birds and money through this but this feeling right now is wonderful!!! Thanks for all the kind words.

Going to put the oldest chicks inside the house outside the house and prep for growing them out and FINALLY setting up my breeding pens for my two boys and my grow out brooders! So relieved!

Cream Legbars are supposed to be CREAM based.  The gene we are calling Cream is recessive- it takes two copies to be expressed.  If a bird is lacking one or both cream genes they will have gold hackles instead of cream.  Don't have a picture handy to show you... but you can see some here.  All is not lost if you have a few gold based birds, in a few generations you can get back to double cream genes if you breed and cull selectively, but there are enough other issues with the US stock that if you can dodge that bullet I say dodge it!  I do not know the specific parentage of my Jordan Farms pullets, so until I do some test mating, hatching, and growing out, I don't know if they even carry one cream gene.

All Cream Legbars are supposed to be crested- it is in the British standard and the proposed US standard.  It is another thing that is not particularly difficult to breed (and the cresting gene is dominant so it's easier to fix than Cream), again if you can start with crested stock to begin with that is one less trait to have to breed towards right away.  It is much more common to have pullets with large crests and cockerels with small crests because the standards call for a straight comb in the males, and the skull deformity that creates big crests tends to make the combs wavy and wonky.

VERY good information! I will keep these things in mind when selecting my breeding stock! :)

My results are in and all my birds ... well the dozen I have left are negative for MG and MS!!!! :weee

The worst two months of my chicken life are over!!! and I can say with all certainty to any buyer that my flock is healthy. I am so happy I cannot hold it in and went screaming through the house. 

I lost a lot of birds and money through this but this feeling right now is wonderful!!! Thanks for all the kind words. 

Going to put the oldest chicks inside the house outside the house and prep for growing them out and FINALLY setting up my breeding pens for my two boys and my grow out brooders!  So relieved! 

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom