The Legbar Thread!

That's great, Blackbird
clap.gif

Congrats blackbird13, that is fantastic news! I'm half afraid to test for MG. Virginia used to require it for imports and just removed the requirement last year. I don't know if that means all our birds are clean or all have been exposed. I understand it is extremely common in wild bird populations.

Horsedirt --- don't sweat the cream/gold thing. No one in the states has the perfect cream legbar yet, we're working toward it! Greenfire's initial imports were gold, cream, crested and non crested. My original trio from them were not crested, the rooster has heavy autosomal red, and after several test breedings, I determined he carried wry tail. The girsl were also not crested, one is gold and one is cream. I have now ordered two male chicks from Greenfire's new cream crested line and should receive them soon.

I also have two young hens from Jordan Farms. Both are crested one is cream and one is gold. Type is pretty good on both and they have the nicest personalities.

Can't wait for the new boys to arrive and reach breeding age. I'm going to bred them to all the girls and cull heavily for type & color. It's going to be a long process but that's what happens with new breeds.

Hi everyone!

been gone for a bit - (seems like a long time) --

The disinfectant Oxine will kill both fungal and bacterial "germs" - it is recommended by Peter J. Brown "the Chicken Doctor" and you can get it a First State Vet - among a number of other places. Toward the top of this page -- info on how to contact vet:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/charts-and-quotes I use Oxine when ever I change coop to coop.

Marek's is a heart-breaker, and as some have noted...the Marek's vaccine in USA and UK differs, so our Cream Legbars were susceptible.

Here is a page, still under construction of studies - listing of articles, anecdotes etc. on Marek's. For a while there was a lot of mis-information floating around about Marek's. so this page asks for people to cite their source. Please add to - build on - add links etc. -- Let's get as much accurate info about Marek's as we can -- and it will help everyone facing Marek's Thanks!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

I love my new CL family! All of you are so helpful. Oh jeez I'm already doing the acronym thing. ..I will be torturing all of you with question s. Sounds snobbish abd selfish but, I will replace my present hatchery-feedstore flock with colorful rare birds.I wish I did more research prior to getting what I have last year. I've got a funky Tolbunt Polish pullet, Polish Buff and the CLs will round it out. Presently no roos but the one lucky dude of 4 in the brooder will be king. Lol! I will only hatch the CL eggs. Very cool as they are easy to discern from the others. Road trip to Jordan Farms!

I love my new CL family! All of you are so helpful. Oh jeez I'm already doing the acronym thing. ..I will be torturing all of you with question s. Sounds snobbish abd selfish but, I will replace my present hatchery-feedstore flock with colorful rare birds.I wish I did more research prior to getting what I have last year. I've got a funky Tolbunt Polish pullet, Polish Buff and the CLs will round it out. Presently no roos but the one lucky dude of 4 in the brooder will be king. Lol! I will only hatch the CL eggs. Very cool as they are easy to discern from the others. Road trip to Jordan Farms!
Love your avatar...how did you DO that? Happy road tripping...and post those photos for your CL family. :O)

My results are in and all my birds ... well the dozen I have left are negative for MG and MS!!!!
wee.gif

The worst two months of my chicken life are over!!! and I can say with all certainty to any buyer that my flock is healthy. I am so happy I cannot hold it in and went screaming through the house.

I lost a lot of birds and money through this but this feeling right now is wonderful!!! Thanks for all the kind words.

Going to put the oldest chicks inside the house outside the house and prep for growing them out and FINALLY setting up my breeding pens for my two boys and my grow out brooders! So relieved!
I just read your story about 20 min. ago. Congrats on your test results! You must be an Amazing person to have gone thru all of that and loosing nearly all your birds and still wanting to keep raising them! That is just Amazing!
thumbsup.gif

My Jordan farm stock is half cream and half gold. All are crested. I had the originals shipped 18. months ago.
lol i should have read on further

OK. Just be aware since you are picking up roughly day-olds that of the hatching eggs I got through Jordan Farms both girls that hatched have gold hackles. You won't know that until they grow up.
someone else just posted they got a cream and a gold from their jordan farms hatch awhile back.

So I finally spent some time with the chickens. I've been avoiding them for 2 months... Had to do a massive clean up of pens and equipment the beginning of June and when I'd go out there I'd swear I'd hear sneezing or they'd look funny around the face. Just so much paranoia made it too stressful since the beginning of May when I set up the May 29 testing (3 week wait!) to really enjoy spending too much time plus did not really want to risk handling them too much if they were sick.
Yesterday I separated the boys into two different pens and will be using the big coop and pen for growing out and the smaller coops for the same and a rooster pen. It's so nice to be able to think ahead and about breeding plans once again. So happy.
The girls look rough and need saddles. All of my girls are crested but you would not know it looking at some of them as they are bare headed behind their combs. Macbeth and my Jubilee boy got into a fence fight and he's got a bloody face now but none the worse for it I think. Had one of the cream girls from his pen escape yesterday but was able to catch her this morning. She and the new line girl and my original B line cream hen are with Macbeth in my pen 'New-B' and Macduff is with 4 in pen 'Gold-A' with my first original A line gold hen and 3 others - 2 cream and 1 gold.

This is one of the girls with her bald spot where her crest used to be.

I'm going to try to post some pics of the two set ups I did... having a few issues with the posting window....

So I finally spent some time with the chickens. I've been avoiding them for 2 months... Had to do a massive clean up of pens and equipment the beginning of June and when I'd go out there I'd swear I'd hear sneezing or they'd look funny around the face. Just so much paranoia made it too stressful since the beginning of May when I set up the May 29 testing (3 week wait!) to really enjoy spending too much time plus did not really want to risk handling them too much if they were sick.
Yesterday I separated the boys into two different pens and will be using the big coop and pen for growing out and the smaller coops for the same and a rooster pen. It's so nice to be able to think ahead and about breeding plans once again. So happy.
The girls look rough and need saddles. All of my girls are crested but you would not know it looking at some of them as they are bare headed behind their combs. Macbeth and my Jubilee boy got into a fence fight and he's got a bloody face now but none the worse for it I think. Had one of the cream girls from his pen escape yesterday but was able to catch her this morning. She and the new line girl and my original B line cream hen are with Macbeth in my pen 'New-B' and Macduff is with 4 in pen 'Gold-A' with my first original A line gold hen and 3 others - 2 cream and 1 gold.

This is one of the girls with her bald spot where her crest used to be.

I'm going to try to post some pics of the two set ups I did... having a few issues with the posting window....
Sounds great that you are getting them sorted out. Off to a fresh start! One of my girls spent much of the spring with out her crest-she has vision problems and was the target of the #2 rooster. It has finally grown back. Pretty hackles on that girl.

Back
Top Bottom