The Legbar Thread!

Hi all, I'm trying to figure this out myself but I can't - what were Legbars bred from? I'm thinking somewhere in that mix there has to be Leghorn, right?
Cream Legbars were developed in the 1930's in Cambridge by crossing Brown Leghorns, Barred Plymouth Rocks and Araucana (for the egg colour). Cream Legbars are a pure breed of poultry, they are autosexing which means you can tell the sex of the chick at day old. They are a rare breed and are covered by the Rare Poultry Society. They were originally called Crested Cream Legbars but this was later change to Cream Legbar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_Legbar
http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/chickens/cream+legbar/

Last edited:
Higher incubator temps can decrease the number of female eggs making it to hatching. Male embryos seem to be more tolerant of higher temps. This may lead to a higher male:female hatch ratio.

Temperature does NOT affect the ratio of male to female eggs produced, as that is set by the genes in the embryo, and not by hatching temps. So at higher temps you may see a higher male: female ratio, but overall you will hatch fewer chicks, as some of the female embryos die.
So 1 month ago I read this post and thought....hmm, I'll give that a try so I dropped my temp to 99.9. Well, my hatch ended up with the following totals. 3 unhatched, 1 Jubilee (have to wait on the sex) and for legbars - 12 females to 7 males. Not scientific proof but I'll take it.
My Jubilees seem to take a day longer to hatch than my Legbars.

Quote:
Hi Tim and thanks for stopping by. I think this is they first time I've seen you comment on Cream Legbars but I remember seeing your posts on other forums and hope you stick around because you always have something of value to say!

I think what Brada Puhi was trying to say was that if all of your birds have the inhibitor of gold gene (ig), since it is a recessive gene, then phenotypically all of your birds coming forward should all look cream (you have 'gotten rid of' the gold phenotype by masking/diluting the gold it with the ig gene genetically).

I think the vexing thing for many are those elusive autosomal red genes you refer to. Quite clearly looking as some roosters, they have a very red saddle and very pale hackles and I honestly do not believe that they could look that cream in the hackles and not have the inhibitor of gold gene, but it makes the acceptable chestnut look very ginger-y and a lot of it, too..

Last edited:
Cream Legbars were developed in the 1930's in Cambridge by crossing Brown Leghorns, Barred Plymouth Rocks and Araucana (for the egg colour). Cream Legbars are a pure breed of poultry, they are autosexing which means you can tell the sex of the chick at day old. They are a rare breed and are covered by the Rare Poultry Society. They were originally called Crested Cream Legbars but this was later change to Cream Legbar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_Legbar
http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/chickens/cream+legbar/

Thanks, that's good to know. I hatched 3 girls and 1 boy about a year ago, it's cool they are autosexing or I would have been biting my teeth wondering what the heck they were - boys or girls!

Hi all, I'm trying to figure this out myself but I can't - what were Legbars bred from? I'm thinking somewhere in that mix there has to be Leghorn, right?

There are about 7 breeds that went into the creation of the Cream Legbar, but two were Danish brown Leghorns and white Leghorns! Are you a member of the Cream Legbar Club? Our President went through a quick run through of the original breeding process during our last meetinh, and I'm sure we could get you a copy of the notes!

There are about 7 breeds that went into the creation of the Cream Legbar, but two were Danish brown Leghorns and white Leghorns! Are you a member of the Cream Legbar Club? Our President went through a quick run through of the original breeding process during our last meetinh, and I'm sure we could get you a copy of the notes!

I'm not a member of the Cream Legbar Club, just a lover of the Cream Legbar breed
wink.png

If it's not a crime I'd love to try to create some of my own Cream Legbars, just as a project, not to sell or anything. That would be sweet if you could get me a copy!

Thank you!
Willow

I'm not a member of the Cream Legbar Club, just a lover of the Cream Legbar breed
wink.png

If it's not a crime I'd love to try to create some of my own Cream Legbars, just as a project, not to sell or anything. That would be sweet if you could get me a copy!

Thank you!
Willow

Of course it's not a crime! There is someone in TX who re-created the Gold Legbar, and then used GFF Creams to get hers to the right color! Would you consider joining the Cream Legbar Club? It's free for associate members! The clubhouse is where all the past newsletters and meeting notes are, and it's just for members.

Back
Top Bottom