The Legbar Thread!

i took some photos of my ten-week-old CL boy, harold, today -- recently gave his sister away to a friend, her crest was a bit too large for my liking, and she was a bit of a meany -- but he's a sweet little guy:

the only thing that's odd about him is he often carries his tail low, almost straight out from his back -- is it likely to perk up as he gets older & longer tail feathers?
Harold is adorable. My problem is the opposite tail angle. Someday I should get some eggs from you that Harold is the dad, and then maybe bring the squirrel tails down. He is a really nice cockerel.

dretd -

Really nice explanations -- super job on nailing some of the things that the world of chickens is struggling with regarding - how important is lineage.

Flying--

Your project is coming along nicely -- There are other breeds with multiple combs accepted by APA aren't there? Sounds too like there is a real market for what you are doing.

Cream Legbar people rock!!

Speaking of white sports -- Has anyone with whites bred a pair of whites? Do the offspring retain white? Are they autosexable by that generation - do they lay blue -- any pictures of crested white colored cream legbar descendent birds?

Thank you everyone! I'm just a city backyard chicken ebthusiast but have fun hatching my own chicks. My goal is to have eye candy hens roaming my backyard that lay a rainbow colored array of eggs. Both my girls will be a unique addition.

I hope to have some land in the country one day and can breed some of the breeds I love!

And I want you guys to know how pleased I am to see calm respectful conversation even with differing opinions! As a newbie to Legbars, it's been a pleasant experience to learn from this thread. :D. Many thanks! I'll post some pics when my girls grow some more.

i took some photos of my ten-week-old CL boy, harold, today -- recently gave his sister away to a friend, her crest was a bit too large for my liking, and she was a bit of a meany -- but he's a sweet little guy:

the only thing that's odd about him is he often carries his tail low, almost straight out from his back -- is it likely to perk up as he gets older & longer tail feathers?
His tail will probably go up as he grows older and gets his adult feathers in. He's a cutie!

It's great you are working so carefully with your breeding flyingmonkey. Good luck with your project!

Aloha kakou,

Punnet was a pioneer in the study of genetics. And the study of genetics was relatively new then. One of Mendel's laws is the law of independent assortment which means that all genes can either go in one gamete or the other and it's all a flip of the coin. Where he was wrong was linked genes. All the traits that Mendel studied in the peas were on separate chromosomes. But we now know, and Punnet was figuring out is that some genes are linked, which means that they are close to each other on the same chromosome and rarely get separated even in synapsis(crossing over) in meiosis. So, for the araucanas and americaunas, the pea comb and the blue egg genes are linked genes. But the cream legbar that he developed, does not have the pea comb. He successfully separated those two genes and bread the pea comb out of the new breed. I would imagine that that was a major goal in his project, in proving how genetics work.

It is interesting that he did not breed out the gold hackles. If you breed out the gold, they will always be cream, even though it is recessive, because that would be the only allele present. But we can. just don't breed any gold hackled roosters and keep track of which hens produce golds, take them out of the lineup and breed the gold out of your flock.

By the way, I think what monkeypoop(Michael?) is doing is cool.

kden, Puhi

It is interesting that he did not breed out the gold hackles. If you breed out the gold, they will always be cream, even though it is recessive, because that would be the only allele present. But we can. just don't breed any gold hackled roosters and keep track of which hens produce golds, take them out of the lineup and breed the gold out of your flock.

By the way, I think what monkeypoop(Michael?) is doing is cool.

kden, Puhi
I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly. Cream is a gene that dilutes red and is not a gene that expresses color. If an individual breeds out the gold hackles, they would have to out cross to a silver bird and replace the gold alleles in a male with two silver alleles. The gold in the hackles is mainly due to the gold alleles. There are also undocumented genes called "autosomal red" that can add red pigments to a silver or gold bird.

Tim

Hi all, I'm trying to figure this out myself but I can't - what were Legbars bred from? I'm thinking somewhere in that mix there has to be Leghorn, right?

Back
Top Bottom