The Legbar Thread!

As far as his overall type, the main thing I don't like is his HUGE floppy comb. I have brothers of his with better color and better combs but they have high, pinched tails. I plan to keep 5 cockerels going into winter so far, just because there are so many good ones. I have one that should be culled because he doesn't really have a crest but I have some pullets with hatchery-style polish crests that I want to breed him to and try to get an intermediate crest

Just read on the FB breeders page. Jill Reese shipped 2 days ago to New York for GreenFires 2014 breeding program!
They are in Quarantine for a month so we have time to plan a welcome home party!!!
Who's up for a Florida road trip? Just to go and look at them. Seriously, I would not hang out at the gate and beg for a chick, any chick, any breed. Nope, I have too much dignity to do that. (Heh.)
You might just be disappointed hopefully not but i wouldn't be kissing the ground these birds walk on yet. . Jill shipped eggs to Belgium in April i was told by a very reputable source.. So who ever hatched and raised them they shipped them from Belgium for her. I wonder how many they hatched and how many they shipped to New York. hopefully greenfire had a say in how they did that 95% culling and they get some good birds.

I can't believe it but I found my little pullet last night.. I had seen 2 piles of feathers but couldn't find her so i was sure she was a goner.. but no that little girl popped back up perched on top of my dog crate (how ironic!!).

so good news is i have one purebred girl still.. I plan to just send the muff growing lady to the layer pen :).. how awesome is that!!

thanks so much for your replies to my questions..

btw: i live in florida, why would you do a road trip here?? ohhh.. ok never mind :)

ps: I am a marans person so all this is so new to me, and so much FUN as well :)...

Last edited:
I snapped a few pictures of the trio I hatched from Papa Brooder's eggs. These are 7.5 weeks old in the pics (turned 8 weeks this past Tuesday, pictures taken last Sunday). So far I like the cockerel, the larger pullet I can't really tell yet how she will turn out so perhaps you can give me some idea what I'm looking at, and the midget pullet is still holding her own but is so very tiny. Their pen mates were photo bombing every time I tried to get a pic of the cockerel's head.

I just had 2 new additions to my Legbars hatch this morning. These are from my current CCL flock. I'm waiting for them to dry off to see what I have and to get pictures.

My younger CL cockerel has sealed his fate by trying to lure some of the pullets out of the flock into the woods around the yard when they are out having free range time. Their expected lifespan out there is maybe several days. He is the emergency backup, but I have cockerels coming from GFF, and he is not great type, so off he goes to the Thai family in town.

I was reading about the person who got the bird with muffs. I also hatched one like that from my own hens. My birds came from someone who bought directly from Greenfire. What are your thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom