The Legbar Thread!

Someone got a rooster crossed somewhere.... I thought the muff gene is dominant so you should see it even if the bird only has one copy of the gene. But you said neither of your parent birds have muffs?

I haven't seen any muffs pop up on my birds from 5 different sources...so my gut tells me that either someone crossed a CLB to an Ameraucana to try and increase the blue egg factor OR a sneaky bird flew over the wall for a mid-day rendezvous.

Quote:
i originally wondered this, hence my post. But then after learning about the muff gene (thanks to the above posts) i think it would be hard to hide it for generations... SO i'm leaning towards the sneaky roo thing... They were purchased eggs so i don't know whether this was possible. Those roosters sure get around don't they :)...

Here are the newest CCL hatchlings. Both are roosters, yeah! I'm keeping them both and growing them out. I'm interested to see what they will look like when grown since one is fairly darker then the other.

Here are the newest CCL hatchlings. Both are roosters, yeah! I'm keeping them both and growing them out. I'm interested to see what they will look like when grown since one is fairly darker then the other.

Congrats on your hatch! I will be very anxious to see how your two boys grow out.

Although one is quite a bit darker than the other, he seems maybe less cinnamon-y, although this could be artifact from the camera. The downs listed on the British SOP talks about grey, so I wonder how the brown/tan/cinnamon hue relates to the overall red enhancers that the grown rooster will have. Important clue or not a factor at all?

Please do keep track of them as they grow and poet updates. They are both adorable!

I went and looked at the youth birds at our fair and someone had a legbar pullet from a different breeder. The pullet had lots of red on her back which was weird but she had noticable barring in her hackle. I liked the overall look of the bird but compared her to mine and now I wonder about hackle barring. Most of my females don't have distinct barring but the males are good. So, without digging through this thread to find the answer, what is the female hackle supposed to be?

Back
Top Bottom