The Legbar Thread!

Yippee! I got my Jill Rees chicks from GFF this morning! Actually, 2 girls and 1 roo (who can afford any more??). I also ordered 2 girls/1 boy from "any line that you're not getting gold from" (and Jen sent 2 extra girls which was very nice). They arrived active, very thirsty and hungry. In the pic the JR's are: the girl at 3 o'clock, the lightest boy at bottom and the girl at 7 o'click (light w/ indistinct stripes). Let them all get settled in for a day or so, then I'll post better pics! "I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it" (to the tune of the old Pointer Sisters song!!!)

@chicken pickin male #1 is great looking. We would appreciate if you start recording your Legbar weights on the Cream Legbar Club's website. @ChicKat can send you the link. We are trying to pool our records to see what the average growth weights for this breed should be at different stages.

Thanks
For any and all who want to help out with collecting data on the weights of Cream Legbar chicks as they grow and chickens...

this link goes to the page on the website where the data is entered the first time:'
http://www.creamlegbarclub.com/13-chick-weight-track-entry-form

Kind of easy--- you enter some contact info, incase later we need to ask questions about your entries...and then some chick ID info so you know the specific chick, chicks or chicken-- you don't need to enter data for every chicken or chick... You can just about start at any age...up to 3-years old, I think ...just scroll to that age bracket on the form and enter the weight -- this will get your record in for the first time. Subsequently I will send a link to the spreadsheet to you and you can find your chicks ID then scroll across the spreadsheet and update the weights.

:O)

ETA for simplicity sake please enter in pounds (or fraction of pounds...if your chick weighs 2.5 oz then it is 2.5 divided by 16 for your entry for that time period...or .15625 pounds.) If you have some older ones - as I have (anyone else still have their originals from GFF?? ) then enter the weight as 5.5 pounds.... pretty simple for us all IMO.

Last edited:
A couple of folks asked me how I was able to get the JR chicks so soon. Well, I was visiting the GFF website last October and read that they had acquired the JR line, so I ordered 2 Roos and 4 hens right then! Needless to say, I had only "assumed" I could get that line. Anyway, Jen clarified that they wouldn't hv any chicks til late spring and I could only get 1/2 JR's. Cool. So I decided to let them keep my $$ until they were available so I'd keep my place "in line". Then, GFF sent me a group email last month stating that there would be a limit of 1/F and 1/M and the price had gone up!! But, Jen said she would honor our original agreement so I got the 2 girls and the 1 roo we'd agreed on. Lucky me, right? Cuz there is NO way in a bazillion years I could hv justified the new price to my DH!! Oh, and, I need suggestions from you experts as to how to incorporate them into my existing flock, plz! (And I guess I'm gonna need to build new pens (lol)!!)

A couple of folks asked me how I was able to get the JR chicks so soon. Well, I was visiting the GFF website last October and read that they had acquired the JR line, so I ordered 2 Roos and 4 hens right then! Needless to say, I had only "assumed" I could get that line. Anyway, Jen clarified that they wouldn't hv any chicks til late spring and I could only get 1/2 JR's. Cool. So I decided to let them keep my $$ until they were available so I'd keep my place "in line". Then, GFF sent me a group email last month stating that there would be a limit of 1/F and 1/M and the price had gone up!! But, Jen said she would honor our original agreement so I got the 2 girls and the 1 roo we'd agreed on. Lucky me, right? Cuz there is NO way in a bazillion years I could hv justified the new price to my DH!! Oh, and, I need suggestions from you experts as to how to incorporate them into my existing flock, plz! (And I guess I'm gonna need to build new pens (lol)!!)
Needless to say, you will have to be very careful with the $450 investment
smile.png
. Hope the new line is worth the extra bucks!

Has anyone tried breeding their Legbar Roo to a brown or white Leghorn. I am just curious what the results would be and how it would effect the egg laying?

Back
Top Bottom