The Legbar Thread!

So far I haven't had any issues hatching my legbars and mine all come from basically 2 pairs (and the leghorn hen for rose combs). I have done lots of line breeding and will continue. My rooster hatched last year is almost perfect. His son was supposed to replace him but so far I am not 100% pleased with him.
I don't think the legbars are in a population bottle neck like some of the other breeds just because there is so much variance like chickat said. Now that I am wanting to add a new rooster to breed in, I am finding that all of the cockerels that appeal to me locally are related to my stock. There are a couple local flocks that just look odd to me so I'll stay away from them. I did see a cockerel on craigslist for sale. He had a small comb, huge crest but also a high tail and small size, plus he was $25.
That shows you that you do have a line already!!
thumbsup.gif

So far I haven't had any issues hatching my legbars and mine all come from basically 2 pairs (and the leghorn hen for rose combs). I have done lots of line breeding and will continue. My rooster hatched last year is almost perfect. His son was supposed to replace him but so far I am not 100% pleased with him.
I don't think the legbars are in a population bottle neck like some of the other breeds just because there is so much variance like chickat said. Now that I am wanting to add a new rooster to breed in, I am finding that all of the cockerels that appeal to me locally are related to my stock. There are a couple local flocks that just look odd to me so I'll stay away from them. I did see a cockerel on craigslist for sale. He had a small comb, huge crest but also a high tail and small size, plus he was $25.

Maybe consider an egg swap with some breeders in other states if you are up for risking trying to hatch shipped eggs!

Do you have a pic of you're really great rooster? Just hatched my first CCL chicks and I love to see pics of the well bred ones.

Need help with witch hens to breed this spring.
.. They seem crowed in this greenhouse that I made but they have about 15 square feet per bird and I think they want scraps. LOL... Spoiled chickens... I could easily tell which were makes or females when I got them a week old... The ones with the white spot were sold as butcher birds and the ones with the female markings were kept. I will number the pictures
bird 1

Bird 2 trying to duck her head next to the wellsummer.. Check out the black one behind her.. This black one had a huge white make mark on her head.. She lays white eggs.. Not going to use the black one for breeding..

Bird 3. This one has a crest but is not seeming to showing it.. It is not as fluffy as those across the pond..

Bird 4. seems a little light but I may be wrong...

bird 5.. I suck at pictures.. At least she is showing her crest...

Bird 6.. getting better with the pic....

Bird 6 again.. but closer...

My breeding roo.. He has a small crest..

bird 7. I am new to these birds but in my opinion, I love the dark salmon breasted birds..

The eggs.. they look sky blue in real life.. They are not grey or white like in these pictures...

Welsummer egg next to the legbar eggs... still look a little greenish grey blue.. I swore they are sky blue..LOL

Blues are really hard to capture on film, as is cream...salmon...gray...barring...etc LOL! What are your goals? Cream? Golden Crele? That will help a lot for feedback purposes. :)

I am working on my line! My rooster is massive, he is larger than my marans but not as heavy. I need to get updated pics of everyone. I like the idea of getting eggs from other breeders or doing an egg swap but seeing so many people with hatching issues makes me nervous. I think just getting a new pair would be nice. Even a started pair that are showing color/pattern would be nice. I'd put a female with my best male and the new male on both comb types of legbar just to spread out the new bloodline.

I tried getting a pic of my favorite rooster but he wasn't cooperating. Here is my favorite rose combed cockerel. His tail has white and his comb has a curve in the middle (due to his crest) but he is larger than the other cockerels and he has a better flow. He was drinking so his stance is a little off.

FMP--He looks very 'macho man'.

Totally different topic. I just picked up a pullet egg that weighed 1.6oz -- larger than most first eggs, and these pullets are starting later...26-weeks, The shocker for me was the color OAC074! Never have gotten such a green egg from a Legbar. Usually my Legbars are OAC179. This one is truly green.
ep.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom