The Legbar Thread!

How do these two charts compare? There's no picture of the one available from the Ameraucana Club. Does it show the wide range of colors that the OAC chart has?

I'm working on Olive Eggers from Marans X EE crosses, and I might try the CCL X Leghorn crosses to get SBEL's, and I would like to have a chart or charts showing all the possible colors.

The OE's I have now have a wide range of egg color from khaki to dark olive to shades in between.

Would it help if I got BOTH charts?
The OAC has a number of colors throughout the spectrum. Because it is designed for all sorts of commerce it is less specific/detailed in the blue/green colors than the one for the Ameraucanas. If you have non-traditional colors (OE) then the OAC will probably be a better fit for you since the Ameraucana/Araucanas aren't supposed to lay eggs with the brown overlay.

Here is a link to feathersite's color charts for British Araucanas, American Araucanas and Ameraucanas http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKArauEgg.html (they all are very similar)

I think that the OAC linked to in the etsy site may be a single item available. You may want to contact the seller and see if she has more than one available and if its the only one grab it up. I paid I think $7 for mine originally, so this is less than I paid even with the $2 shipping. Both charts would be better in case you are talking color with someone else and they only have one or the other. The purpose of the charts are so that two people looking at their eggs in different locations will have a common frame of reference.

Be aware that even with that in hand, I have held an egg up to the OAC and felt the egg matched different colors best in natural ambient vs room lighting and moreover, that same egg was identified as matching other colors better by both my daughter and my hubby, so it does have limitations. Everyone seems to perceive these colors slightly differently.

Our first CL egg (in the middle)!!!
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
celebrate.gif
It is the same color as our Ameraucana. Obviously the color in the photo doesn't do either one of them justice.

I'm REALLY polling everyone now. I have a pullet that is 22-weeks -- and I always say that 24weeks is the magic number... We're close - I think. ;O)
I have a 26 and a 27week old and they don't look near ready. I didn't even realize how old they were until I went back and counted. I still see them as "chicks" lol.

I have a 26 and a 27week old and they don't look near ready. I didn't even realize how old they were until I went back and counted. I still see them as "chicks" lol.
Yep, I know just what you mean.... In that I have a mental match with you -- they are chicks until they are ready for chicken social security -- well maybe not that long.

-- Yours did do their maturing over the winter and it has been a dark cold one that's for sure... -- So that is a factor.

There is a hybrid Cream Legbar rooster over Isbar hen in the same pen with my CL - and the hybrid has been laying the prettiest saturated green eggs for about 2 weeks now. She is also very friendly --- The green ones are tiny -- but beautiful -- so I was thinking it was time for CL and she looks almost ready -- but it is a week or so off.

Here is a question for the thread......What is the top age for a pair -- rooster or hen to be considered breeding material -- ??

I've had some start laying at 22, some at 26, and I still have a couple that are holding out (they're almost 27 weeks old). Funny how they can all hatch together and some mature faster than others.
That is interesting -- are the ones that start at different times from different parent stock? Just curious.

When we think about it, it is more likely that there is going to be variation.

Here's a funny story -- we did an Artificial Insemination (AI that doesn't mean Avian Influenza) project on our registered cattle about 10-years ago. Every cow and heifer was inseminated the same day -- that had come into heat in the previous hours -- and we were kind of naive and thought that subsequently they would all calve on exactly the same day. Like one day -- there would be 15 newborn calves - then the next day there are 10-more --- or however many cows we had inseminated in each session according to the gestation period of the cows. -- They spread out the calving over a couple of weeks. That's mother nature for you.

Back
Top Bottom