The Legbar Thread!

@chicken pickin here are the pics. I don't know if she still fits in the cream definition or she would be considered a "Gold" or Crele. She is from GFF A & B line crosses done by Diane McDonald. She was six lbs before winter but has lost some weight over the course of the harsh winter and is 5 lbs 5 ounces right now and slowly gaining it back.
I see what you mean by darker cream. I cant enlarge the pics so its hard to tell. For me, my personal opinion is that she seems slightly more on the "colorful" side so Im not sure it she falls in the cream description. If she were in my flock I would call her "colorful" rather than cream also she seems to have a rustier breast color which usually falls in line with the more "colorful" CL but of course I do not know her genetic makeup, its just my opinion. You have got to be happy with the size of her though. I feel mine are a good size but I haven't weighed any of mine. I do know I would be happy with weights like yours has. Do you feed anything special.

Last edited:
Here is something I am really curious about. Maybe it is partially based on - that GFF had told me some while back that they were getting actual gold legbars, or maybe it is because I had heard that H & H Poultry had bred gold Legbars as they were trying to get to Cream Legbars -- before Cream Legbars got imported to the USA in -- was it 2011 or 2010 -- correct me someone.... Oh never mind -- it was 2011 -- it is under the 'history of the Cream Legbar in the USA' on the Club's website.... so we have had about 3 and a bit years of working with CLs in our country....

Okay I digress. Has anyone ever seen or photographed a true Gold Legbar? -- I know it would show a brown wing-triangle

arrow points to a brown (aka gold) wing triangle on a cockerel that is an artist rendition of a crele Leghorn. Since David Scriviner (president of Rare breeds society in UK, Poultry judge, and author -- this fact from his book 'Exibition Poultry') - tells us that Crele is wild-type + barring gene, then Cream Legbars are Crele - so there is a gold crele shown above, a silver crele and a cream crele -- ETA the genetics of a crele Leghorn would be a wild type (brown Leghorn) plus barring -- So the same plumage controls would be in Legbar (except Chilean hen's cream??) as in the Leghorn. Since Punnett's article on Cream doesn't mention Reaseheath Leghorn - I'm thinking he didn't attribute Cream there....

All this has been already covered in other threads including this one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ection-for-alternative-legbars-sop-discussion

I don't think that it is any revelations or any news or any controversy, I'm just explaining why I'm really curious right now to see a true unequivocal gold Legbar. ... I just have been having a couple of very enlightened coloration conversations of late with Cream Legbar folks -- and it occured to me that I have never seen a true gold. I have seen many called gold -- but never a rooster with a brown (aka gold) wing triangle. Has anyone seen one, photographed one, or heard of one?

I had thought that when GFF made the announcement it would be clear to see -- and then hens with the burnt-orange colored backs and I was really curious -- but now I'm wondering if anyone has photo or owns a true gold ??

Add to the fun that in chicken talk brown=gold, white=silver and gray=blue... just adding to the fun.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote: this was in response to Chickat's post on gold coloring. I received him in a group of supposed legbars. Three males looked like this, one looked like a not so great standard legbar. There were three females too, two were normal legbar hens, the other looks like a brown leghorn with green legs. She lays the biggest blue egg I've ever seen. I figure something jumped the fence, but when I saw Chickat's pic of gold coloring, I thought he was close. Not saying he's anything but a hybrid, but possibly an example to look at.

this was in response to Chickat's post on gold coloring. I received him in a group of supposed legbars. Three males looked like this, one looked like a not so great standard legbar. There were three females too, two were normal legbar hens, the other looks like a brown leghorn with green legs. She lays the biggest blue egg I've ever seen. I figure something jumped the fence, but when I saw Chickat's pic of gold coloring, I thought he was close. Not saying he's anything but a hybrid, but possibly an example to look at.
Thanks racinchickins!

That is exactly what I was wondering about -- I think that you hit the nail on the head about it being a true gold. IF I am seeing correctly, that is a true brown (aka gold) wing triangle! And it is an attractive combination. Yep when I open in another window I do see the wing triangle clearly. It is particularly cool to see the artist rendition come to life and see it in a real live chicken!

It could be 'not a cream legbar' even though sold as such -- because remember that cream is recessive. The parents coulc have looked like Cream Legbars...or it could have been a cross to something......So this is what a gold legbar would look like IMO. Oh I guess that with red earlobe it would lean toward an added breed in there -- never-the-less it does show the coloration that combines a brown triangle.

I really appreciate your answering my query!
bow.gif

Last edited:
I have one that looks close. It's a pic from when he was younger. His tail feathers are much more barred now.
I bet he turned out quite striking. He actually looks like he only has one barring gene to me, which would support the theory that there was a fence-jumper unbeknownst to the breeder. Or the hen is a hussy and got into another pen.

Back
Top Bottom