The Legbar Thread!

I have one that looks close. It's a pic from when he was younger. His tail feathers are much more barred now.

Here is a picture from today.

I have one that looks close. It's a pic from when he was younger. His tail feathers are much more barred now.

Thanks racinchickins!

That is exactly what I was wondering about -- I think that you hit the nail on the head about it being a true gold. IF I am seeing correctly, that is a true brown (aka gold) wing triangle! And it is an attractive combination. Yep when I open in another window I do see the wing triangle clearly. It is particularly cool to see the artist rendition come to life and see it in a real live chicken!

It could be 'not a cream legbar' even though sold as such -- because remember that cream is recessive. The parents coulc have looked like Cream Legbars...or it could have been a cross to something......So this is what a gold legbar would look like IMO. Oh I guess that with red earlobe it would lean toward an added breed in there -- never-the-less it does show the coloration that combines a brown triangle.

I really appreciate your answering my query!
bow.gif
ok, so we have found as close to gold so far. Since I am not a genetics expert, can someone please explain to me in layman's terms why he looks so similar to my Crele Legbar x ISA Brown hybrid in his younger picture. My hybrid was 14-15 weeks old at the time of the picture and still has lot of growing to do. As you can see in the picture, both have red lacing on black on the chest. and you can see the brown/gold wing triangle on my hybrid.

Hi Junibutt,

nope - no one can explain -- everyone can only surmise. Isn't ISA Brown a proprietary hybrid ?? they don't tell what crosses were used during their development of this hybrid...so we can only guess.

Here are some things that we do know, the E-locus - most evident in chick down - for the Cream Legbar - (from what I have been lead to beleive) is e+ Wild Type. For sure I don't think that your cross has a wild type basis -- do you have any chick-down picts?

ETA - the Cream Legbar is a complex genetic formulae. When two 'conflicting' genes are at the E-Locus -- they try to fight it out...and sometimes produce some very unusual patterns. Most CLs - wouldn't have the black breast feathers with yellow edges - I have seen dark edges on feathers --- but never like that one.

Chicken shown by racinchickins has a more dark + light pattern - does that make some sense?

Last edited:
Hi Junibutt,

nope - no one can explain -- everyone can only surmise. Isn't ISA Brown a proprietary hybrid ?? they don't tell what crosses were used during their development of this hybrid...so we can only guess.

Here are some things that we do know, the E-locus - most evident in chick down - for the Cream Legbar - (from what I have been lead to beleive) is e+ Wild Type. For sure I don't think that your cross has a wild type basis -- do you have any chick-down picts?

ETA - the Cream Legbar is a complex genetic formulae. When two 'conflicting' genes are at the E-Locus -- they try to fight it out...and sometimes produce some very unusual patterns. Most CLs - wouldn't have the black breast feathers with yellow edges - I have seen dark edges on feathers --- but never like that one.

Chicken shown by racinchickins has a more dark + light pattern - does that make some sense?
I see what you are saying.

For reference although ISA Brown is a proprietary bird, however the consensus is that they use a RIR (production version) rooster over a White Rock (production version) hen.

Here are the baby pics of the hybrid rooster and his sister.

rooster is in the middle front and his sister on the right. Left chick is of a CL x RIR hybrid that has grown up to be much darker.

Here is a just a cute picture of the baby rooster. I first thought he had muffs!

For reference although ISA Brown is a proprietary bird, however the consensus is that they use a RIR (production version) rooster over a White Rock (production version) hen.

rooster is in the middle front and his sister on the right. Left chick is of a CL x RIR hybrid that has grown up to be much darker.

Here is a just a cute picture of the baby rooster. I first thought he had muffs!

Those there are some mighty cute chicks! I love how the down looks so think and fluffy. Makes them look beefy. I love Beefy birds. My current most favorite chicken I have is a heritage Barred Plymouth Rock X Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and she is the largest, beefiest, heaviest hen I have ever owned.

Those there are some mighty cute chicks! I love how the down looks so think and fluffy. Makes them look beefy. I love Beefy birds. My current most favorite chicken I have is a heritage Barred Plymouth Rock X Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and she is the largest, beefiest, heaviest hen I have ever owned.
He was a big chick, a whopping 60g at birth compare that to Legbars that are usually 40-45g. Part of the reason was that it came from a Jumbo egg (75g/2.6 oz)

Yep - that chick with the chubby cheeks - is really a cute chick.

Yep - that chick with the chubby cheeks - is really a cute chick.
I think it was an optical illusion, he did not have any muffs, just his color combination made it look like that. He did have a big head though and I had no doubt he was a boy from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom