The Legbar Thread!

hmm.png
It looks like I have a bunch of non-crested or tiny crested legbars from my first hatch of the season. All parents are crested but not all of the chicks are.
How old are the chicks?

My chicks are 2 weeks and already about 1/2 of them have tiny poofs on their heads.

hmm.png
It looks like I have a bunch of non-crested or tiny crested legbars from my first hatch of the season. All parents are crested but not all of the chicks are.
Bummer--how old are they? Any chance they might be late bloomers?

Statistically if all of your birds are heterozygous for cresting, 1/4 of the offspring will be non-crested.

I started with what I thought were homozygous for cresting boys and 2 non-crested hens. I was surprised that with one non-crested hen I had 2 males chicks hatched that were non-crested, but with the other hen, I have had 100% crested offspring with the same rooster. I am suspicious that there is another gene that is suppressing expression of the cresting gene somehow because its statistically unlikely that the one rooster would produce non-crested babies with only one of the non-crested hens.

Last edited:
They are about a month old now. There is absolutely no sign of a crest on about 1/3 of them. I knew there would be a chance because of the leghorn I used in the past for the RC birds but there are chicks from my pure line without crests.

For members of the Cream Legbar Club - the Q1 Newsletter is now in the Clubhouse under publications (along with all the back issues)!>> --
This one is Vol3 Number 1

You should be getting your copy soon from Club Secretary Rinda Myers -- check out an email box near you -- go to the Clubhouse for members -- hard to believe how fast 2015 is flying along. Congrats to the Cream Legbar Club for 3-years of being there for us.
frow.gif

Cheers to all.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with both of you. I also tend to dislike the Rees males I have seen so far. My Rees male that I have is far from a good example, as well as many of the pics of Rees males I have seen thus far. I do however like many of the females from the Rees line.
I agree with all of you, but I only have them left. My flock was wiped out by raccoons. So, this is what I have to work with. Yes, it will take awhile to improve them, but this is all I have. I'm just going to take the best that I have and work from there to improve them. I didn't expect perfection from them. I'm sure as a large farm, Greenfire has a lot of birds to manage. They may not cull as hard and they may have a lot of birds paired up that we might not normally pair together.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say :oops:

Actually I am rather surprised to see all these Rees boys having so many faults. The line was hyped up to be the cream of the crop and I have yet to see one Rees boy that I like.

If it was me I would find a nice Cream roo from a different line and breed him with the Rees girls. I wouldn't stick with a line exclusively because of the name if they aren't  producing nice birds.

I am in the same boat. Out of all the Ree's line birds, none have met my standard. They all seem so small and have other color/type issues. It is rather disappointing that GFF did that to folks but buyer beware.

I agree with both of you. I also tend to dislike the Rees males I have seen so far. My Rees male that I have is far from a good example, as well as many of the pics of Rees males I have seen thus far. I do however like many of the females from the Rees line.

I agree with all of you, but I only have them left. My flock was wiped out by raccoons. So, this is what I have to work with. Yes, it will take awhile to improve them, but this is all I have. I'm just going to take the best that I have and work from there to improve them. I didn't expect perfection from them. I'm sure as a large farm, Greenfire has a lot of birds to manage. They may not cull as hard and they may have a lot of birds paired up that we might not normally pair together.

I think you should do what you feel is best for your own flock. I have recommended others not bred specific birds they have but my opinion has always been tainted by my own birds in hand and my personal preference when in reality ridding oneself of current breeders is no guarantee the replacements will be any better...this breed has come a long way but there is still a lot of work left and a lot of faulty birds out there. Even with better breeders the limitations of small hatches for small breeders is a hurdle. Your males are better than what most of us started with....just hatch as much as you can, learn as much as you can and despite what others say make your decisions based on your individual stock. Whether you paint the barn or build it first or attempt both at the same time is your choice. Disagreement is a good thing....it makes you think about the whys of the choices we make. I miss my Legbars but realized I only have so much time and space to dedicate to this hobby I love and after some serious thought have chosen my BCMs. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom