The Legbar Thread!

i know, that is so big compared to cream Legbars -- and my other breed is Isbars and they are even a bit smaller. 2 Legbars = 1 Orpington......
frow.gif
. kilograms are a mystery to me. Some here want to convert the states to metric....but I think our minds aren't wired for it.

Yeah exactly, means you can keep more chickens if 1 orp = 2 CL
wink.png
wee.gif

Hmm, I guess it's just what you're used to, but i could never build a coop using inches and 1/8 of an inch or something, it would end up all wonky
lol.png

frow.gif
. kilograms are a mystery to me. Some here want to convert the states to metric....but I think our minds aren't wired for it.
I know mine's not! Several years ago everyone was gung ho about converting over to metric. I'm so glad that has sizzled out.

Hmm, I guess it's just what you're used to, but i could never build a coop using inches and 1/8 of an inch or something, it would end up all wonky
lol.png
I feel the same way with metric. I don't do my measurements right when I'm working on the coop. When I measure, its like this, "39 in and one (little line) past a quarter".
lau.gif
But hey, it gets the job done! Then, if all else fails, you get the hammer and beat it into place.
thumbsup.gif

I know mine's not! Several years ago everyone was gung ho about converting over to metric. I'm so glad that has sizzled out.

I feel the same way with metric. I don't do my measurements right when I'm working on the coop. When I measure, its like this, "39 in and one (little line) past a quarter".
lau.gif
But hey, it gets the job done! Then, if all else fails, you get the hammer and beat it into place.
thumbsup.gif

hmm I have a rough idea of inches and feet (as they are fairly commonly used over here), but feel much more at home with metrics, do everything in meters/centimeters/millimeters and its all in 10's and 100's (10mm in 1 cm, 100cm in 1m etc)
cool.png

Agreed
big_smile.png

lau.gif
thumbsup.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Like that hammer idea.

I saved four pullet chicks to add to my flock. One ended up with no crest (like a few of my hens) so I sold her but the remaining three pullets all have white feathers scattered throughout (strangely not the crestless pullet). Will these molt out? I don't think any of my hens had this...or at least I don't remember them having this.

I saved four pullet chicks to add to my flock. One ended up with no crest (like a few of my hens) so I sold her but the remaining three pullets all have white feathers scattered throughout (strangely not the crestless pullet). Will these molt out? I don't think any of my hens had this...or at least I don't remember them having this.

Motting to that degree is something I haven't seen. I have seen that when something stressful, like an injury occurs, the barring will show more white or a bigger portion of white, for example my pullet that was attacked by a raccoon that pulled her wing off through 1" hardware cloth recovered from the injury but the plumage that grew while she was in stress/shock had more white. (her black pigment turned off for the feather development during that time of her little lifetime- It wasn't the same patterning that your pullet there is showing however it was more a part of the normal barring -- but smaller white patches and white bar being larger. Would lead me to ask if the pullet had any stressful events - while that plumage was growing.

Motting to that degree is something I haven't seen. I have seen that when something stressful, like an injury occurs, the barring will show more white or a bigger portion of white, for example my pullet that was attacked by a raccoon that pulled her wing off through 1" hardware cloth recovered from the injury but the plumage that grew while she was in stress/shock had more white. (her black pigment turned off for the feather development during that time of her little lifetime- It wasn't the same patterning that your pullet there is showing however it was more a part of the normal barring -- but smaller white patches and white bar being larger. Would lead me to ask if the pullet had any stressful events - while that plumage was growing.
Oh boy that is horrible. I have one chicken run that has hardware cloth on the bottom half and 1" chicken wire on the top half. The chicks in that coop are getting very large and need the space so I decided this past week to allow them to sleep on the roosts in the run, though I know its not a smart idea because a raccoon would have access to them. I have the hardware cloth I just need to get some wire cutters. Im going to do it tomorrow for sure. Thanks for the scare to get my butt in action!

VERY INTERESTING! The three crested birds were added to a pen adjoining my adult Legbar pen with other young chickens that I was growing out...but they were a good deal smaller than the larger, older Orpingtons that they were put with. These birds did not have the white spots when I put them in the pen. The non-crested pullet was kept in a separate run in my shed/barn until she was sold. The older birds weren't sexually mature but they were so much larger and there was a bit of a problem of the larger birds dominating the food and water and throwing a stray peck their way. I have since put them in my regular Legbar pen and I think they are getting along better with those birds.

VERY INTERESTING! The three crested birds were added to a pen adjoining my adult Legbar pen with other young chickens that I was growing out...but they were a good deal smaller than the larger, older Orpingtons that they were put with. These birds did not have the white spots when I put them in the pen. The non-crested pullet was kept in a separate run in my shed/barn until she was sold. The older birds weren't sexually mature but they were so much larger and there was a bit of a problem of the larger birds dominating the food and water and throwing a stray peck their way. I have since put them in my regular Legbar pen and I think they are getting along better with those birds.
In that case -- I will predict that their plumage will be completely 'normal' when they loose those feathers and get new ones!.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom